PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BD player comparison test including PS3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: BD player comparison test including PS3 Reply with quote

The Register did a 'shoot-out' of Blu-ray Disc players including PlayStation3. Remarkably it didn't win. Probably because the Sony BDP-S350 is still a little cheaper (though the Panasonic ended up in second place while it's significantly more expensive).

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/11/21/review_blu_ray_disc_players/
Brandon B

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of a useless shootout unless you like the buy-it-because-we-say-so type of guide to purchases. They give absolutely no background or expansion for their ratings of video and audio quality (and to be frank, I don't see how the audio quality is going to vary other than on features like the DTS HD MA they mention is missing from the Sony).

I bring this up because I have seen various people referring to the PS3 not having equivalent picture quality to the top units available, but have not seen ANY substantive comparisons or quantification of those claims anywhere.

So I largely chalk it up to the anti-game machine bias. Since my PS3 replaced a Sony SCD-555ES SACD player and completely trashes the performance of that in my system, I am going to assume they expended a similar amount of effort on giving it high quality blu-ray playback until someone explains why that is false. Since I am watching on a 120" screen with a 1080p JVC RS1, I would expect to be able to see any problems that exist.

Anyone seen rigorous video testing of BD video playback, like they do at Secrets for DVD players?
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't yet, and I agree. I'll let you know when I see one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: