PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SACD playback via optical output?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lutefisk69

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
Your HTiB is probably applying PLIIx to the 2 channel or something. The feature has not returned, and the Toslink optical connection cannot carry 5 channel high bitrate PCM.

BB

Thing is though, the PS3 should not even allow the Multi-channel to play. It should give an error message and tell me that I need to swtich audio output. As far as I know Sony did not want any sacd material output via optical.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that is so. I seem to remember being able to play the multichannel mix when mine used to be hooked up by optical, it just downmixed it to stereo.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lutefisk69 wrote:
Thing is though, the PS3 should not even allow the Multi-channel to play. It should give an error message and tell me that I need to swtich audio output. As far as I know Sony did not want any sacd material output via optical.

No, that's not correct. See this paragraph in the FAQ: "What difference does the firmware version make for CD and SA-CD?"

With version 2.00, optical output for SACD became possible in two ways:
  • multichannel, in DTS
  • stereo, in PCM

The first option was removed again a fortnight later in v2.01 but the second option has remained.
ken_wilsonii

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: I would have to agree with the postings saying this works Reply with quote

I have a friend with 60gb model that the same thing happened.

I was confused as every posting I said claimed Multi-Channel SACD via optical was not possible.

I carefully checked all listening options for the SACD all behaved like they should have and Multi-Channel Sacd option played back in multichannel on the audio system, Stereo SACD came out as stereo, CD layer came out as a 6 speaker stereo mix on the stereo system (evenly spaced sound out of all speakers)

I have had others claim that the receiver is just adjusting and simulating surround sound, but it's not. If that were true the standard cd layer playback would do the same. It did not.

I played the same disc on a SACD capable player via and HDMI and got the same breakout multichannel wise for the SACD.
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'll say this, I use my Z-5500 5.1 system to connect to the PS3. And sometimes it automatically sets itself to Dolby Pro II Movie with SACDs, and sometimes its plain Stereo. Its rather random, but its most oftent stereo only.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, the chipsets that transmit the PCM or bitstream over toslink optical can-not-transmit 6 channels of uncompressed PCM. They simply do not have the capability. This isn't a situation of "no one implements this feature although it is technically possible". It is not possible period. It is not part of the spec, and none of the available components, including the one in the PS3 do so. So if you are hearing multichannel out of the optical out of a PS3 playing an SACD, there are simply two ways for that to happen.

1. You are bitstreaming DTS because your PS3 has the 2.0 firmware, OR 2. you are sending the Mch as downmixed stereo PCM, and your receiver/processor is applying DPLII or the like to expand it back to 5.1. DPLIIx does quite a good job, so it would difficult to detect, but there really is not another explanation.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good post on the subject -

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=858198&postcount=16
lutefisk69

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
A good post on the subject -

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=858198&postcount=16

I am in there somewhere. THe thing was with my original 60GB it would tell me to change the output and would not let me play the SACD. I have an HDMI receiver hooked up to that one now so when I tried to play an SACD on my new one that is hooked up VIA optical I was expecting the same thing. Kinda caught me off guard when it let me play the multichannel without changing the audio output.
jamesperterson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely forum keep it up....

Playback clothing
DON't FOrGET TO SAY THANKS IF YOU LIKE MY POST!!!
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: