PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ABC's The Lexicon of Love

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: ABC's The Lexicon of Love Reply with quote

Last month I was musing on another forum about the possibility of a very interesting SACD release:

I've got Propaganda's A Secret Wish, Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Rage Hard and Art Of Noise's Daft all on SACD but I already was quite a ZTT collector (especially Propaganda and FGTH) long before SACD came along. Moreover, A Secret Wish ranks very hight among my all-time favourite albums so there's probably no album I own more versions of Very Happy

Of all Trevor Horn's work the album I've most been longing to hear as multichannel SACD is ABC's The Lexicon of Love. The Deluxe edition of TLoL that Universal released a few years ago (as part of a large series in which various titles including The Moody Blues, Elton John and Nine Inch Nails and more recently Black Sabbath and Emerson Lake & Palmer did have an SACD) was the perfect opportunity but someone must have decided otherwise. I'm sure Trevor Horn would have been interested in doing it.

I concluded it looks like I'll have to resort to ABC's DVD-Video compilation album The Look of Love to hear some of this work remixed in 5.1.

Then a week later, coincidentally, there's some great news:

ABC will perform The Lexicon of Love live in its entirety, together with the BBC Concert Orchestra conducted by Anne Dudley and with an introduction by Trevor Horn, at the Royal Albert Hall in London, April 8th 2009. I wonder if this time it will be properly preceded by the Overture. On the Deluxe edition it's included but, oddly, with the other bonus tracks after the main album.

It sounds like a great opportunity to make another interesting multichannel recording of this album for SACD (and generate some more attention for SACD and for the album, plus a great occasion to release a multichannel mix of the original album on SACD after all) but I think a DVD-Video or at best a Blu-ray Disc of the show is more likely.

Then again on the other hand they never even bothered to release the Mantrap video movie on DVD. I've had to make my own bootleg DVD from a LaserDisc transfer.

Now this week there's an interview with Martin Fry on http://abcmartinfry.com/_interview2009.shtml where he suggest they may do a Blu-ray Disc. While it's not an official announcement it does make the prospect sound a lot more likely all of a sudden.

Is anyone planning on going?
culabula

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ABC's The Lexicon of Love Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
Last month I was musing on another forum about the possibility of a very interesting SACD release:

I've got Propaganda's A Secret Wish, Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Rage Hard and Art Of Noise's Daft all on SACD but I already was quite a ZTT collector (especially Propaganda and FGTH) long before SACD came along. Moreover, A Secret Wish ranks very hight among my all-time favourite albums so there's probably no album I own more versions of Very Happy

Of all Trevor Horn's work the album I've most been longing to hear as multichannel SACD is ABC's The Lexicon of Love. The Deluxe edition of TLoL that Universal released a few years ago (as part of a large series in which various titles including The Moody Blues, Elton John and Nine Inch Nails and more recently Black Sabbath and Emerson Lake & Palmer did have an SACD) was the perfect opportunity but someone must have decided otherwise. I'm sure Trevor Horn would have been interested in doing it.

I concluded it looks like I'll have to resort to ABC's DVD-Video compilation album The Look of Love to hear some of this work remixed in 5.1.

Then a week later, coincidentally, there's some great news:

ABC will perform The Lexicon of Love live in its entirety, together with the BBC Concert Orchestra conducted by Anne Dudley and with an introduction by Trevor Horn, at the Royal Albert Hall in London, April 8th 2009. I wonder if this time it will be properly preceded by the Overture. On the Deluxe edition it's included but, oddly, with the other bonus tracks after the main album.

It sounds like a great opportunity to make another interesting multichannel recording of this album for SACD (and generate some more attention for SACD and for the album, plus a great occasion to release a multichannel mix of the original album on SACD after all) but I think a DVD-Video or at best a Blu-ray Disc of the show is more likely.

Then again on the other hand they never even bothered to release the Mantrap video movie on DVD. I've had to make my own bootleg DVD from a LaserDisc transfer.

Now this week there's an interview with Martin Fry on http://abcmartinfry.com/_interview2009.shtml where he suggest they may do a Blu-ray Disc. While it's not an official announcement it does make the prospect sound a lot more likely all of a sudden.

Is anyone planning on going?

It's a great album, but can ABC perform?
culabula

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird or what? As I typed that, ABC are on in the background in Eastenders!

Ooooops. What a giveaway.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: ABC's The Lexicon of Love Reply with quote

culabula wrote:
It's a great album, but can ABC perform?

I've seen ABC perform live (without the orchestra) in the Canal Room in New York, summer 2006, and can testify they're great performers in such an intimate venue.

I can't tell how it will work out with an orchestra in a huge hall like the Royal Albert.
culabula

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weren't you once searching for Vertigo by Groove Armada? I just found it for 9GBP + postage on amazon.co.uk!
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for asking. Yes, I was looking for Groove Armada on SACD but I've already got my copy of Vertigo. That's the easiest to find. I've also got Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub) plus even a spare copy to trade. It's Lovebox that's so hard to find.

To make matters worse, nine out of ten times you see an acclaimed Groove Armada SACD on eBay it turns out to be an RBCD, including one this week (this one). Very annoying.

Also see this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: