PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the PS3 a good sacd player?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zephro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Is the PS3 a good sacd player? Reply with quote

I've debated buying a Denon DVD 1940CI or a Denon DVD-758, hooking it up through the 5.1 analog connectors and having that be my dedicated SACD player, but if the PS3 has similar performance with SACDs I won't waste the money.

Any thoughts?
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the SACD audio output quality of PS3 is excellent, and the only downside compared to other 'dedicated' SACD players is the HDD/fan noise. If you can live with that -- like I can -- then I would keep the money in your pocket (or rather spend it on SACDs :-)
zephro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
I think the SACD audio output quality of PS3 is excellent, and the only downside compared to other 'dedicated' SACD players is the HDD/fan noise. If you can live with that -- like I can -- then I would keep the money in your pocket (or rather spend it on SACDs :-)

Appreciate the input. Question: How do you have your PS3 setup for SACD playback and do you listen to both multi channel and 2 channel SACDs?

Thanks,
Chris
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PS3 is both a better SACD player and a better redbook CD player than my older Sony deck, an scd-c555es.

I have mine feeding an Onkyo Pro PR-SC885P preamp through HDMI. Use it for mch and 2 ch on SACD. The PS3 converts DSD to PCM, so I am not using the DSD conversion of the Onkyo. I tend to engage the "direct" mode, which on my preamp eliminates all the processing other than channel equalization and the DAC step. There is a noticeable difference to me if I engage bass management or any of the other processing.

BB
zephro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
My PS3 is both a better SACD player and a better redbook CD player than my older Sony deck, an scd-c555es.

I have mine feeding an Onkyo Pro PR-SC885P preamp through HDMI. Use it for mch and 2 ch on SACD. The PS3 converts DSD to PCM, so I am not using the DSD conversion of the Onkyo. I tend to engage the "direct" mode, which on my preamp eliminates all the processing other than channel equalization and the DAC step. There is a noticeable difference to me if I engage bass management or any of the other processing.

BB

BB,

When you listen to 2 channel SACD's does the PS3 send the signal to your Onkyo 5.1 and you Onkyo outputs it as 5.1, but sound only comes out of the front 2 channels? How do you have the PS3 setup in the setting menus?

Thanks,
Chris
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PS3 seems to often send 2 ch as mch PCM with just no data on the other 4 signal channels.

So when I play 2ch SACD, it does show as coming through as 5.1, but the direct mode I engage when listening to music leaves everything where it is, no bass management or anything (my mains have dedicated separate woofers that are flat down to 25Hz, with output below that, so they are effectively full range in-room). So it does not matter in my case.

I am at work as of now. Sometime this weekend i'll note my settings and post them.
zephro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
The PS3 seems to often send 2 ch as mch PCM with just no data on the other 4 signal channels.

So when I play 2ch SACD, it does show as coming through as 5.1, but the direct mode I engage when listening to music leaves everything where it is, no bass management or anything (my mains have dedicated separate woofers that are flat down to 25Hz, with output below that, so they are effectively full range in-room). So it does not matter in my case.

I am at work as of now. Sometime this weekend i'll note my settings and post them.

BB,

My PS3 does the same thing, I assume you have the original 60GB version. The only way I was able to fix this was to deselect 2 channel PCM 174 kHz and than the PS3 would correctly send the 2 channel signal to my receiver, however, 2 channel will only output at 88 kHz in this mode, but it still sounds pretty good.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you view it as a problem for it to send unused channels of data?
zephro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
Why do you view it as a problem for it to send unused channels of data?

Only because for some reason, it impacted the sound. The sound came out a little muted.
bdole

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that recently a few batches of SACD-capable PS3's are popping up briefly at the original retail price of $499. This is the first this model has been available new through authorized channels in many months.

Sears had the MGS4 80GB bundle last week, and it says they're temporarily out of stock:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05896004000P?sid=I0084400010000100383&aff=Y

Amazon has the same bundle in stock as I write this post:
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Metal-Gear-Solid-Pack-3/dp/B0014WJ78E/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?tag=pc02-20

On the flip side, Dell has been flirting with $300 for the non-SACD PS3 via its occasional sales. That unit could be combined with the Oppo SACD/DVD player for $169 and the PS2 (for playing older games) for $99.
ken_wilsonii

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: I would definitely say a PS3 is a good sacd player Reply with quote

I own a 60gb model and the only thing I notice is that is seems a little bass heavy.

I plan to run a comparison to the new Oppo Blu-ray/sacd player when I get one and will post what I hear.

This Oppo will my first time at hearing DSD direct rather than a lower sound frequency range on my setup.
FunkyMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you play a SACD on the PS3, even if it is the 2-channel layer, it will show up on your receiver (when connected as HDMI obviously) as "multichannel". This is fine. It just means that the receiver is receiving a multi-channel PCM signal. There is no data being transmitted for the the non-stereo channels.

The PS3 can output as 176.4kHz, but I use 88.2kHz so that I can engage Audyssey on my Onkyo 805 receiver.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you feel the sound is as clean with Audyssey engaged?

I have the 885 prepro and pretty much go direct or pure when playing SACDs, as I find any processing seems to drop the quality just a click.

But my speaker layout is pretty nice and symmetrical, so Audyssey doesn't really get me much of anything for SACD.
FunkyMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Audyssey. You have to set it up properly though to get its full benefit.

Please see this for some musings on the subject...

http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/40245//y?page=first
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that thread underscores the difference. My speakers are all pretty identical in timbre (magnepans). And they are laid out very (to less than an inch) symmetrically in the room.

The only significant variation is in their power handling and low end extension. I have my fronts actively crossed with a pair of big woofer cabinets (not my sub, that's a whole other unit), so they are good in room down to almost 20. So the Audyssey correction isn't doing much for me in correcting for placement, and I guess I just don't prefer what is does tonally.

In theory, if the sound engineers are mixing the multichannel mix with full range speakers all around in mind, I am probably missing a bunch of sound in the low end from the surrounds, but it really doesn't seem that way when I compare. So I am guessing a lot of them may mix for use with a sub anyway.

I am on a slow path of putting a second 5ch music only system together in another room, as I find the Magnepans a little too analytical to enjoy anything not orchestra-based, so it will be interesting to compare that once I am done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: