PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slim PS3 imminent?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Slim PS3 imminent? Reply with quote

Like I've said elsewhere, I still don't believe the time advent of a slim PS3 is upon us, simply because it's too early in the lifetime: PSone only arrived about the time PS2 did, and the slim PStwo more than four years later.

Yet I don't know what also to make of this ad:

There's a slim PS3 hidden inside? After three fat guys there's a slender, feminine PS3? (Remember, there have been 3 distinct generations of PS3 thus far.)

Also, there's new (here and here) about a 45nm Cell processor -- the second shrink i.e. third version -- but this is only going into production some time in 2009, with consoles based on it only coming later that year surely.

I don't know what to make of it.
Yuri

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be announced at the CEATEC, which starts tomorrow? At least that's the next major upcoming fair. Probably not, if this list of exhibits is something to go by:

http://www.sony.co.jp/SonyInfo/News/Press/200809/08-0929/index.html

A number of PS3 things including Life with PlayStation and Afrika but no new SKU. Unless of course this is going to be the surprise rabbit popping out of the hat.
Yuri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it turns out: No news. Just Life and Afrika. See here. Not a single SCE press release either.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that's just a very belated response to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFoyp71xw3w

since with all its current functionality the PS3 has gotten pretty damn sexy.
Yuri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, very funny.

Incidentally, there may have been little PS3 or SACD news at this year's CEATEC fair but a lot of new (not so slim) SACD players were introduced last week at the Tokyo International Audio Show: Denon, Luxman, Accuphase, McIntosh.

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20081003/ina2.htm
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speculation on the web concerning a slim PS3 is heating up again, this time fed by a photograph of supposed new packaging:

One can only speculate about the specs apart from what is visible on this box (assuming it's real, and I believe it is):
- 120 GB HDD
- BD playback
Surely SACD playback does not return.

The article compares the atypical new PS3 box to a similar box for the new UMD-less PSP.

What personally strikes me most is that after all this time, Sony apparently switches from "PlayStation 3" (or even "PLAYSTATION 3") to "PS3" and finally introduces a logo for it, somewhat similar to PS2 (and PSP) logo but softer and rounder instead of angular (perhaps for these considerations?)

(I had not really expected them to call it PSthree; they never used the name PStwo either, only PSone for the redesigned and shrunk first generation).

I'm curious whether Cell and RSX have been shrunk and merged onto a single die yet.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure it would make sense to put those on the same die from a heat management standpoint. Would it?
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're small enough to be integrated on single die when the two combined become (significantly) smaller than either of the original chips, and then the heat/cooling issue will automatically have solved itself, I figure. Coming from 90nm via 65nm to 45nm, I guess the size of the chips has been reduced fourfold. Very much like happened with EE+GS; see this chart.

New spec rumours: removal of more "non-gaming essentials":
- missing the support for other operating systems
- hardware changes, including the on/off switch in the back of the console

Introduction likely at this year's Tokyo Games Show, September 24-27.
Yuri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a spy picture posted here

which got me thinking "such an odd form factor" but after seeing the packshot above again I realised it must be a part only, not the entire console.
It does lend even more credibility to the rumours.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Beyond3D, a forum with some in-depth chip technology discussions, I suggested
Quote:
Cell is at 45nm since some time this year and I believe RSX was at 65m last time I checked.

I would assume for the slim design SCE would (have to) wait until RSX is also at 45nm, when both can probably be merged onto a single die because
- they've shrunk to a quarter of their original size at 90nm
- they're on the same process"

to which someone apparently in the know responded:
Quote:
There are no 45 nm Cells in any PS3s on the market yet, but the 45 nm design was presented at ISSCC-08 and will probably show up in the slim model in the pictures leaked.

The 45 nm design of the RSX was not even ready for pre-production in october last year (link) so donīt expect it to show up in the new model coming out this fall.

Donīt expect any merged Cell-RSX designs any time soon or ever for that matter because it may not cut any costs. They are after all not on the same process as it is today. The Cell requires an advanced SOI-process and the RSX seems to work with an ordinary CMOS bulk-process.

I'm curious about the Cell/RSX shrink & integration roadmap but it seems SCE is not as open about it like earlier. I guess they (rightfully) fear all the talk of new internals may cause prospective buyers to hold off on their purchase. Or maybe it's simply for keeping the competition in the dark as much as possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: