PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wheatus - Pop, Songs & Death Volume 1: The Lightning EP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raveer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Wheatus - Pop, Songs & Death Volume 1: The Lightning EP Reply with quote

Hello,

Wheatus have released their latest material as a DSD (DSF) download compatible with Vaio Laptops (Sound Reality or WMP11 plugin), XA-5400ES, every Playstation 3 and Korg Mr-1/Mr-1000 portable recorders. Stuff (also FLAC 24/88.2 kHz) is available at http://www.wheatus.com
wheatus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Confirmed Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

My name is brendan. I am the singer songwriter and producer for my band wheatus.

It is true what you read here...you beat me to it...I also did not want to come with the spamitude...

I am very pleased to confirm we have released our new EP , Pop, Songs & Death Vol.1: The Lightning EP in DRM Free DSD_DISC for Playstation3 (.dsf). It is also available in MP3, WMA, Apple Lossless and FLAC (88.2KHz, 24bit).

You can download it for free or if you see fit, you can donate to the cause.

Pick your price, pick your format...

The download and playback process has proven to be very simple. Detailed instructions are up at wheatus.com. We cannot believe no one else is doing this....in fact if you know of any other DSD 4 PS3 releases please let us know. We have not been able to find anyone to compare notes with and I'd love to get in touch.

The entire record was recorded in our Sonoma DSD Multi-Track Recording System. The 1bit 2.8MHz DSD integrity was maintained all the way through to the mastering process within Sonoma.

PCM versions were converted from DSD using Weiss Saracon and mastered for Redbook and FLAC in Pyramix.

Anyway...It's a first and we had quite a learning curve over here trying to figure out how to do this right...we are proud of it, but I'm certain that you can provide some critical feedback and ideas to help us do a better job with Vol 2....

The DSD Masters Downloads will also playback on the Korg MR1 and the Sony SACD XA5400ES will also playback the DSD_DISC DVD-R.

Again, any feedback positive or negative is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
brendan b brown
wheatus.com
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a link somewhere on your site to hear a sample of your music? Or is the idea just download, and then pay if you like it and keep it?
wheatus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B,

Yes...download free and pay if you like or pay later...the choice is yours....since we couldn't stream the DSD files it felt kinda useless to stream the low res stuff.

Thanks very much,
brendan b brown
wheatus.com
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bold move deserves more coverage so we've now added it to our news page:

http://www.ps3sacd.com/index.html#_20090724
wheatus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so very much for that...we have done no advertising, have not hired a publicist and we have been self managed and independent for 3 years now, so to see this genuine enthusiasm from this community is indeed encouraging....

Much DSD Love,
brendan b brown
wheatus.com
Paulmichael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I registered just now to post this. Wheatus, I applaud what you've done! Razz Heck, it's given me a reason to buy myself a new sound system, as my current Sony STR-K700 is showing its age - it can't play the format in its proper resolution (It does up to PCM 88.2 KHz, in stereo mode only)! Cool Anyway, from what I did hear of the DSD soundtrack the audio quality is superb - problem is I don't think your genre is for me! Confused Regardless, I wish you luck and hope this starts a trend with other artists!
wheatus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...it's OK if we're not your cup o' tea...This is more about a technological revolution that should have taken place years ago but has been stifled by the draconian dinosaurs who run record labels.

Here are my questions to the labels......Why hasn't every record label embraced the highest quality product format available? It doesn't even cost them more money, in fact, without the need for physical production their overhead costs would drop and their product quality would go WAY UP! And how easy would it be for them to eliminate the need for DVD burning and open the channel to DL'd directly to the PS3 Hard Drive? Why isn't the entire Sony Music Catalog available for DSD download at Sony's website? How dare they complain about sagging sales and piracy when they are 15 years behind the tech curve of their own product. If a wimpy little independent band like us can do this with no marketing, imagine what they could have done!?!?

It's their own fault that music is fading as a commercial art form. We just cannot take them seriously anymore.

Buy Independent.

Many thanks,
bbb
wheatus.com
Paulmichael

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts of that have to do with the general public. The vast majority of people don't care a whole lot about sound quality. The iTunes store has music at or below 256 kbps bitrate, which is why I rarely purchase music from there as I still prefer to rip my own music from actual CDs. I'm honestly surprised that Blu-Ray has taken off, and that I see more players in people's homes. The average consumer is not educated enough when it comes to their home media, yet they wonder why movies and music look and sound better at my house even though they also have an HDTV...
wheatus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Don't Disregard The Consumers Senses Reply with quote

I take your point that most consumers are not savvy to the different formats and advancements in media playback.....but as for people not caring about sound quality I totally disagree.

Most people might not be able to accurately articulate what it is they are experiencing, but to take for granted that they also cannot even tell the difference between a DSD or vinyl playback and an MP3 playback is exactly the type of arrogance that got the Major Labels into trouble in the 1st place and it started with bright tinny sounding CD's that were falsely advertised as being better than vinyl.

Assuming your customers are ignorant is very dangerous, and wrong. Music was once an analog experience...you had to immerse yourself in the process of listening to something. It was once a cherished pastime. And when it was record sales were high.

Now that conventional sound quality has taken such a turn for the worse it's obvious to me that the steep drop in music sales has less to do with piracy than the majors and the RIAA would have us believe....I think it's just a result of the format....MP3's and CD's are limited in their capacity to deliver a visceral listening experience. I believe that DSD can turn that around.

Respect the customer,
bbb
wheatus.com
Paulmichael

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Don't Disregard The Consumers Senses Reply with quote

wheatus wrote:
I take your point that most consumers are not savvy to the different formats and advancements in media playback.....but as for people not caring about sound quality I totally disagree.

Most people might not be able to accurately articulate what it is they are experiencing, but to take for granted that they also cannot even tell the difference between a DSD or vinyl playback and an MP3 playback is exactly the type of arrogance that got the Major Labels into trouble in the 1st place and it started with bright tinny sounding CD's that were falsely advertised as being better than vinyl.

Assuming your customers are ignorant is very dangerous, and wrong. Music was once an analog experience...you had to immerse yourself in the process of listening to something. It was once a cherished pastime. And when it was record sales were high.

Now that conventional sound quality has taken such a turn for the worse it's obvious to me that the steep drop in music sales has less to do with piracy than the majors and the RIAA would have us believe....I think it's just a result of the format....MP3's and CD's are limited in their capacity to deliver a visceral listening experience. I believe that DSD can turn that around.

Respect the customer,
bbb
wheatus.com

Of all my friends, perhaps one of them cares about audio quality enough to use lossless formats, and that's on occasion. Since you're a musician I'm sure you have many friends and relatives who do care, perhaps more than the norm. I'm just a web/software developer (For AlterMedia Inc., developer of StudioSuite - my boss is an ex-audio engineer!) who happens to love higher-end audio and video. So I think our opinions on how many consumers care about audio quality will forever differ. Rolling Eyes

You're right, assuming your customers are ignorant is very dangerous, and yet it's done all the time, especially in the realm of consumer electronics and media. It's not that customers cannot tell the difference between formats, it's the assumption that they don't really care that much. Music was and still can be a great pastime, indeed, but now I usually just see people using it as background noise while they do something else. Not that people don't still sit and listen to entire albums anymore, but it's becoming rarer in my experience. Everyone's too "busy" to sit and just listen. Which could be why so many pop songs (singles/EPs mainly) sell really well while having little to them other than repetitive beats and paltry lyrics - they don't take much thought to listen to.
Orient Pirate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: DSD Download Reply with quote

Hi All,

First post on the site, so go easy on me Wink

I downloaded the Wheatus DSD EP and have sound problems on replay using my 5400ES.

I download the DSD files via my Vaio into Sony Sonic Stage Mastering software. I then burnt the imported DSD files onto DVD as normal (as DSD files).

I inserted the DVD into the 5400ES and at first listen I thought the sound was good but listening more carefully and a second time I could hear a compressed sound on drums and symbols especially. There are no pops,clicks or any unusual sounds apart from this 'compressed' sound on anything with high dynamics.

This is my first DSD download so I have nothing to compare it with however other DVD's I have burnt using imported WAV or MP3 via SSM have been fine.

Im using the analoge outs on the 5400ES which I know is not true DSD out. Is this the problem? DSD to PCM conversion on the 5400ES?

I used both Sonic Stage Mastering and DSD Direct sofware to burn the DVD and still the same results.

Help please.

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: