PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DTS-HD Master Audio output -- plus TrueHD, DD+ and DSD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
Perhaps Sony doesn't like the thought of their unprotected DSD stream being outside the box

But the DSD stream is thoroughly protected. It was on i.Link – with DTCP – and it is on HDMI – with HDCP. By the way, the PCM stream is protected precisely the same for sure.
Jens

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: DTS-HD Master Audio output -- plus TrueHD, DD+ and DSD Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
[...] it might explain the situation for the new lossless standards Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, which were first supported in HDMI v1.3 but not DSD which was supported from v1.2 already.

The only format I'm not sure about (which HDMI version you need for) is Dolby Digital Plus.

Dolby Digital Plus requires HDMI v1.3, according to a Dolby brochure I've got. DD+ and DTS-HD are quite comparable, I guess.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the following theory?

• All high-resolution audio formats are converted to PCM because that's what the DACs can handle. DSD DACs are more expensive.
  • Providing DSD, DD+, Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD might be possible technically but would disable analog stereo output (due to hardware constraints).
  • Sony is afraid of service calls from annoyed consumers who don't get analog audio output due to 'faulty' settings. Understandably, because such calls are expensive to handle. What's more, people might return their consoles to the store -- even more expensive to handle.

Sounds plausible?
mjponder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: DTS-HD Master Audio output -- plus TrueHD, DD+ and DSD Reply with quote

I have been skimming through the posts on ths topic and I haven't quite found an answer to this question. If I have a PS3 and an a receiver with HDMI inputs that supports Dolby True HD and DTS HD and I connect the 2 with and HDMI cable am I going to get discrete surround channeling?

Thanks
Mark
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: DTS-HD Master Audio output -- plus TrueHD, DD+ and DSD Reply with quote

mjponder wrote:
If I have a PS3 and an a receiver with HDMI inputs that supports Dolby True HD and DTS HD and I connect the 2 with and HDMI cable am I going to get discrete surround channeling?

Yes, you should -- as long as the source material is discrete surround, of course.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the addendum that it doesn't matter if his receiver supports True HD and DTSHD, as the PS3 will convert them to multichannel PCM before sending them. It does not output bitstream o fthose formats.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the decision not to let PlayStation3 output DSD via HDMI is not a general Sony policy issue, considering Sony has finally introduced an SACD player with this feature -- the SCD-XA5400ES, reported on the home page.

It makes one wonder once more what the real reason can be. Technical limitations? That seems so illogical.
1) Unprocessed, transparent DSD throughput should be far easier than conversion to PCM;
2) DSD output was defined already in HDMI v1.2, whereas PS3's HDMI output is v1.3-compliant.
gooberus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krzysop1 wrote:
I am NOT a an A/V expert but from my understanding of the terms lossy and lossless we are talking about sample rate frequencies which make the digital sound as close to original as possible. This is because as the signal needs to be of an exceptionally high frequency in a digital format. The lower the frequency the more the loss. HOWEVER..... this issue is not without debate BECAUSE..... the human ear cannot hear above a 44 Khz level on average. So what if you can reproduce at 192Khz/24 bit? You do get a C L E A N E R sound but not much more to the ear because your hearing won't absorb the highest frequencies. Your dog might smile though. It also sounds fuller because the bitrate is much higher in HD. However to remind us all, 44 Khz/16 bit has been CD quality for years and everyone seemed to like it. Now we can use CD's (DVD's) of greater density and export sound in 192 Khz/24 bit chunks. But will it make a great difference? Debatable. I for one am not going to run out and spend $900 on a new AVR just to tickle my ears. My budget RX-V361 is fine. It WOULD be nice however if SONY made some sort of cable from the normal A/V jack on my receiver with six discrete plugs to put in my receiver analog ext. jacks . I could them handle the 5.1 PCM and get HD. At present I only have the option via optical (my AVR does not have HDMI). Anyway that "terrible lossy" DTS-Core at 768 Kpbs still sounds great to my ears. Very Happy

I hear you krzysop1. I have PS3 and an older rotel that does not have HDMI, which meant that lossy audio via optical was my only option. However I found a hdmi audio extractor device which takes the hdmi signal and outputs the audio to 5.1 or 7.1 analog signals. It works great in that I can enjoy all the lossless codecs without having to upgrade my rotel which I love. Try searching ebay or audiogon.com if you are interested.
gooberus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krzysop1 wrote:
Hey here's a nice present for those without HDMI input into their AMPS but ext. analog inputs.

http://www.gefen.com/gefentv/gtvproduct.jsp?prod_id=5277

I'm in no rush to get one since only a handful of Blu-Rays can handle DTS-MA at present but it might be a nice tool for SACD listening. $399 is kind of stiff though.

check out this less expensive alternative....
https://post.craigslist.org/manage/868940999/p2s4b
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: DTS-HD Master Audio output -- plus TrueHD, DD+ and DSD Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
The HDMI chipset in the PS3 is an early version of a more widely used 1.3 chipset that can do bitstreaming, but no one has been able to point to a spec sheet that this PS3 version does, and the mfr is not talking. So the consensus, even among many pro PS3 people, is that this was an early version of the 1.3 chipset that may lack the full set of features of 1.3, including bitstreaming capabilities of the high rez audio formats like DSD, TrueHD, and DTS-MA.

I've been looking into this a little deeper, and found that it's the Silicon Image VastLane Si9132 HDMI transmitter we're talking about (even though the press release suggests a Si9133), which may be incapable of streaming high-bitrate audio formats like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. At least that's what all the forum discussion assert. DSD is mentioned nowhere, however.

The discussion also suggest the Si9132 was custom-made for PlayStation3, yet an overview of Silicon Images' products simply lists it as designed for games consoles in general.

I'll keep on digging.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update this discussion: In PS3 Slim, the the Si9132 HDMI chip's been replaced by something that does support Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio output.

See http://www.ps3sacd.com/index.html#_20090819_2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: