PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Not SACDs (I think Yes albums have only appeared on DVD-A and only their Fragile album at that), but I just ordered their 4th - 11th albums (minus Yessongs) on the Rhino remasters done 5 years ago.

These are definite must haves for fans. I have had these on vinyl (American and British import), original CD release, and the Atlantic remasters of the '90s, and have been listening to them for 30 years. The sound is definitely the best they have been on CD. Fragile and maybe TfTO are matched or exceed by my old British LPs, at least when they were new, but not in their current state of wear.

Additionally, each of these albums has some extra material added, varying by album. Single versions, other singles, studio outtakes, alternate versions of songs. The 4 older albums I got, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Relayer & Tales from Topographic Oceans, all are packaged as mini foldout LPs with original album label art on the disk, and booklets containing all the original material from the LP plus some.

From Going for the One onwards, they are standard jewel cases, but with the booklet material.

Comparisons by others to the Japanese HDCDs of these albums favorable as well, as they are based on the Atlantic remasters, which while good, are not as good as these.

THese are available at AMazon, some for pretty low rices (relative to other disks), if the forum wants to link it. All 7 cost me $70.

BB
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Yes Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
The 4 older albums I got, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Relayer & Tales from Topographic Oceans, all are packaged as mini foldout LPs with original album label art on the disk, and booklets containing all the original material from the LP plus some.

That sounds like a good practice in case of remasters. I understand The Beatles remasters are packaged similarly. Speaking of which...

Arrow The Beatles Stereo Box Set
Arrow The Beatles Mono Box Set
Arrow The Beatles store

Quote:
These are available at AMazon, some for pretty low rices (relative to other disks), if the forum wants to link it. All 7 cost me $70.

Good idea! To save us some effort (yes, we're lazy) here's a link to the Amazon Yes store:

Arrow Yes store

The remasters are the CDs listed here as 2003/2004 releases.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May we add the following?

Arrow The Beatles [USB]: the 2009 remasters in high resolution stereo (44.1 kHz, 24 bits)

See the coverage on our news page.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I wonder how the extra bitness would compare to the CD version?

I nabbed the mono box set, but for now have skipped the stereo as I also have most of the albums on old Parlophone/Apple vinyl, and little enough reason to use my turntable already.

But if there is an audible difference between this and ripped CDs, I may spring for it down the road.
michilumin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both "Fragile" and "Magnification" were available on DVD-A, the rarity of them, I don't know. I'd assume at this point, "very".
DVD-Audiophile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michilumin wrote:
Both "Fragile" and "Magnification" were available on DVD-A, the rarity of them, I don't know. I'd assume at this point, "very".

Both are still available through DVD-A.net at $69.99.
dannyjl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find Brandon, checked Amazon but it's a little confusing as they list Electra,Wea and Atlantic for some of these remasters. I don't see Rhino on there. I would really like to pick up some of these to replace the original so-so sounding cd's.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Topographic-Oceans-Yes/dp/B00007LTIA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1258392731&sr=8-3

Look for the ones that are remastered, re-issued in 2003, and are on the Rhino/Elektra label. They all have additional tracks over the original albums as well.
dannyjl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brandon - will check them out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: