PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FLAC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbpett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: FLAC Reply with quote

I just (finally) got XUBUNTU 9.10 installed on my PS3 for the purpose of playing FLAC files. However, I'm using the TOSLINK to connect to my A/V receiver - is the PS3 converting the FLAC files to PCM in order to send over the TOSLINK? What's the best way to play FLAC files without converting/trans-coding them? Thanks!
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to send FLAC across Toslink? Why would you want to do that? Do you have an A/V receiver that will decode FLAC? Never heard of any.

And what else is FLAC than losslessly compressed PCM? 'Decoding' it is basically just decompressing it to regular PCM.
rbpett

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what I need to find out is what is the best way to play multi-channel flac or "hi-res" flacs on my stereo receiver? I downloaded some "Hi-res" tracks from HDTracks.com. I wasn't sure the best way to get them to my receiver - over a PS-3? HDTracks.com says I will need a D/A converter - my computer can play the flac files, why can't I send them to my receiver digitally? HDMI cable? I need help. Why bother downloading HD tracks if you can't play them over your nice stereo system?
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Taylor notes, no receivers exist that decode FLAC. The usual way around this is to have your computer hooked to your nice stereo system, and either have it convert the FLAC to PCM, or to analog and send that to your receiver.

Or you will need some bridge device at your stereo to do this, such as a roku, sonos or apple TV.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely, let your PC do the FLAC-to-PCM conversion (decompression may be a better term) and let your receiver do the D/A conversion.
rbpett

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help guys.
mister_playboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I Ubuntu user, I'd be interested to hear how your PS3 Linux experience goes. I installed Yellow Dog Linux on my PS3 back in 2007, and it was a mostly thankless task.

I've heard it's much better now, but I haven't bothered to try it since I primarily use my PS3 for Folding@Home these days.
rbpett

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Playboy, I would say it's not worth it. I was very determined to get Ubuntu 9.10 installed and was eventually successful (xubuntu actually) after hours of reading and re-trying different isos for installs. So I eventually got the win, but not in the bigger picture. ubuntu runs SLOOOOOOOWWWWW on the PS3. Even using the video ram trick. Just not worth the hassle. I'm tempted to put my shuttle p4 htpc back in my entertainment center, but I think I'll keep waiting for a good passively cooled system to be affordable. I used to use BeyondTV before digital cable, and the interface was awesome, but once digital was the norm and I wanted an HD solution, I moved to Tivo, which works GREAT. Still looking for a media library gateway solution for my home theater, and think I'll wait for this:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/26/shuttles-xs35-nettop-is-3-3cm-thin-too-nice-to-hide-behind-you/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: