PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Peter Gabriel album in high resolution

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: New Peter Gabriel album in high resolution Reply with quote

Peter Gabriel has just finished recording a new album called Scratch My Back, due March 2 in the US and out now elsewhere. It's a collection of covers of songs by other artists who will be returning the favour by covering one of his songs. These will be released on a companion album titled I'll Scratch Yours.

While it comes in a Super Jewel Box, there's no SACD. There is a Special Edition. Sadly it does not contain a multichannel mix -- remarkable considering the artist's view on surround sound and the fact that the last of his eleven SACD albums, Up, was in 5.1 -- but it does provide access to 24-bit (stereo) versions of the songs. It also holds several more songs.

Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"access to 24 bit . . "

Do we presume that to be some sort of code good for a download?
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably, yes. Including these on a physical carrier (necessarily a DVD-ROM if not a solid-state memory card) would surely be too costly to bundle, and apparently not considered worthwhile to release as a separate SKU.

Another assumption: the 24-bit files will be 96 kHz. Just a wilde guess. You never know: The Beatles' 24-bit versions were in 44.1 kHz after all.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to guess 44.1.

Do they release 24/96 into the wild without DRM?
raveer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. HDtracks, 2L, B&W SoS (Gabriel has a lot to do with it) downloads are all without DRM. I have a feeling the distribution will go through B&W SoS channel, will see when Amazon ships me the item. Otherwise the Album is already there, but my subscription expired and I did not renew it yet.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.petergabriel.com/live/tourdiary/ now states the following:
Quote:
Some European Special Edition CD's came with a code that allows download of a 48k 24bit version through Bowers and Wilkins Society of Sound and we're looking at adding a 96k version to the box set as part of a limited memory stick design.

That page is here: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=3550

(I incidentally stumbled upon it when I was browsing for speakers :)

It also says:
Quote:
On other notes yes there will be vinyl versions of the record, and there's also a great new box set in the works, but there will not be a SACD or DVD A release.
probably in response to this 'petition' for an SACD release of Scratch My Back in the site's forum.

Last edited by The Seventh Taylor on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife had gotten me the 2 disc US set for our anniversary. It's produced quite nicely, sounds very good even as an RBCD.

She also picked me up Big Blue Ball, and SACDs of Clapton's Slowhand and Orbison's Black & White Nights DVD/SACD set.

Good wife.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. Do you keep an (online) wishlist or is she simply that well aware of your taste?
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latter.
rbpett

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered 2 of these from Amazon - both have the same sticker (on the amazon site) as was posted here on this site. When it actually arrived here, The sticker didn't list the fact that it had access to the downloadable files. No code in the set either. What gives?
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did not either, but I did not expect it to since it is the U.S. version.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess (based on the information from the Peter Gabriel website I posted above) it's the European special edition only.

Why? I'm not sure. It could be the local policy of the record company in each territory (but it's Real World in all cases, isn't it?) but I fear what's behind it is the same thing that prevents or deters labels from issuing SACDs in the United States that are released in Europe: thanks to the Harry Fox Agency they would have to pay royalties for every version the consumer gets access to, which in the case of a hybrid stereo/multichannel SACD amounts to three -- the CD layer, the DSD stereo and DST multichannel.

Due to this utter stupidity, the Depeche Mode and Genesis remasters were issued as CD and DVD in the US, instead of hybrid SACD and DVD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: