PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SACD file structure
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acmotto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: SACD file structure Reply with quote

Anatolio wrote:
Hi, guys - Is there any chance to show a SACD file structure using PS3? Please advise..

I have seen another article on this forum which discusses the successful mount of an SACD on a PS3. So you could theoretically, I assume, view the contents of an SACD on a SACD capable PS3, but the coded and encrypted data on the HD layer is useless for playback purposes in the Linux environment. The SACD is a secure medium that can't be cracked or mounted in computer DVD drives, except for the Red Book low resolution 16-bit, 44.1 kHz Sample Rate CD Audio layer.

The DSD Disc offers a viable alternative for the free distribution of stereo DSD program material. Also the Korg MR-2 offers a SD Flash memory card that can store up to 90 minutes of DSD stereo audio. Gus Skinas of Super Audio Center mentioned to me that the DSD Disc was designed to support 5.1 surround formats, as well; but, he added there is nothing on the market that will play back such a disc.

In the meanwhile, SACD provides 5.1 surround playback today. The avid music fan will appreciate the high quality benefits of pure DSD playback on all 6 channels (LF, RF, C, LFE, LS, RS). To ensure more producers make these kind of discs, we should cheerfully support the music industry that brings such enjoyment to us. The rewards of supporting professionally produced products are far better than the alternative, since one gets what they pay for: either good professional product or bad unreliable quality product.

I wish there was a way to burn SACD-Rs from the CMF files produced by high-end SACD mastering systems for quality control purposes. Anybody know of a solution?

Note: Many audio professionals want this capability for their clients. It is clearly second best that the only alternative, for 5.1 projects, is to burn a DVD-A check disc for artist approval purposes. We must have a better solution than that.
Yuri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: SACD file structure Reply with quote

acmotto wrote:
I wish there was a way to burn SACD-Rs from the CMF files produced by high-end SACD mastering systems for quality control purposes. Anybody know of a solution?

Note: Many audio professionals want this capability for their clients. It is clearly second best that the only alternative, for 5.1 projects, is to burn a DVD-A check disc for artist approval purposes. We must have a better solution than that.

I know Philips (or Sony) did make such devices. Of course these are not available to consumers but apparently they're not even known within the SACD production business?
acmotto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: SACD file structure Reply with quote

Yuri wrote:
acmotto wrote:

I know Philips (or Sony) did make such devices. Of course these are not available to consumers but apparently they're not even known within the SACD production business?

Are these devices still available (new or used)? What is the prognosis of these products being specially licensed to SACD production businesses?
Yuri

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: SACD file structure Reply with quote

acmotto wrote:
Are these devices still available (new or used)?

Not sure - Philips has pretty much exited the SACD business except for handling the licensing.

Quote:
What is the prognosis of these products being specially licensed to SACD production businesses?

I'm sure that's what they were made for in the first place so my guess is high probability. I suggest you contact Philips IP&S (Intellectual Property & Standards).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: