PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will I lose SACD support if I update my firmware?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tijuana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Will I lose SACD support if I update my firmware? Reply with quote

Hi!

Yesterday I bought a CECHA01 PS3 for three reasons: SACD, Linux and Heavy Rain (in that order).

Obviously, since I want to be able to use linux I'm not updating to firmware 3.21, but I'm guessing that Heavy Rain requires a firmware newer than the one that came on my console, but since sony is keen on removing features 'cause they can (can't think of another reason why "other OS" got removed) I'm a bit scared that if I update my firmware to version 3.15 I'll lose support for SACD playback. Since I can't find any info on the net that confirms my suspicions I thought I'd just ask, and this seems to be the right place for this kind of question since a ps3 without SACD support is more useful to me as a paperweight than it is as an electronic device.

If firmware update 3.15 breaks SACD plaback, then wich would be the newest firmware I could install that would retain this feature?

Regards!!
bdole

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tijuana,

Sweet hardware you just picked up; I'm envious.

This topic was just addressed a few threads below yours:
http://www.ps3sacd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=278

And the firmware FAQ is here:
http://www.ps3sacd.com/links.html

In short, SACD will be fine regardless, Linux is gone if you update past 3.15, and hopefully Heavy Rain will work without 3.21. Though I read they'll withhold PSN from you until you update.
tijuana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply!

I really couldn't care less about psn since I'm not into multiplayer gaming or much gaming at all, so I'll be fine with 3.15 if heavy rain supports it Very Happy

Regards!
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Will I lose SACD support if I update my firmware? Reply with quote

Bdole was very quick and right -- nothing removes SACD playback (although there's a lot of confusion about this on other sites). And Sony does not remove features just because they can (that sort of thing does not do well for customer satisfaction and loyalty). Other OS support was almost certainly removed because of claims PS3 got hacked, and the company needs to prevent situations like with PSP (PlayStation Portable) in order to sustain their business and be able to continue supporting their customers.

If you follow the link to the list of system software upgrades you'll also find 3.15 so hopefully you will not need to upgrade further and be fine with Heavy Rain.
tijuana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already dled the firmware from the site and will update my ps3 tomorrow.

As for the thing about removing features 'cause they can... I said it in gest, though there is a little truth to it anyway (in other words removing the otheros feature will hardly stop hackers from cracking the console, in fact I think the only result they'll get from doing so is pissing off customers and giving hackers a bigger hard-on when they're tinkering with their hardware)

Thanks for the reply Very Happy

Regards!
mister_playboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would be very tempted to go with an older firmware from before the removal of the original PLAYSTATION3 font and the insertion of the XMB ad ticker that can't be turned off if I were to come across an older PS3 like you have. That was the first time I remember booting the console after a firmware update and having some immediate regrets upon seeing the changes. Sad

I believe those changes happened in FW 3.00? You will probably need a fairly recent FW to play Heavy Rain, so perhaps that's not an option. Razz
tijuana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, I'm guessing Heavy Rain needs a recent firmware and, to my surprise, today I checked my PS3 firmware ('cause it doesn't playback 24bit wav files Sad ) and it says I've got firmware 3.10 installed. Odd since it's supposed to be new and is a CECHA01 model.

Oh well as long as I don't lose linux support I don't really mind if my firmware is what version... and besides it seems geohot already reenabled linux support to the 3.21 firmware.

Regards!
tijuana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Heavy Rain, installed it (causing an update to my firmware), and now my ps3 won't even read normal audio cds!!! :S

Could someone help me please??
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tijuana wrote:
now my ps3 won't even read normal audio cds!

That sounds like a hardware malfunction rather than a software bug although you can rarely be sure.

I'd take the unit back for servicing. It'd be a shame though if they'd have to exchange it for a newer type, especially a non-SACD-compatible type.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: