PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SACD->PCM: strange high frequencies up to 88K, pls advise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvdr

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: SACD->PCM: strange high frequencies up to 88K, pls advise Reply with quote

Hi
I tried to digitize a SACD using the method to output PCM via HDMI, then feed it to an HDMI->SPDIF adapter and record it from there using professional hard-&software.
I was using a professional AD/DA: RME FireFace 800, that can accept SPDIF-signals up to 192k, and professional recording software Samplitude V8.
Analyzing the recorded signal, I do get very strange, constant frequencies up to 88k (with 176.4 sampling rate) and up to 44k (when limiting PS3's SPDIF-output to 88.2k). These frequencies are not content-dependent. No matter, what music / SACD I feed, they are there at constant levels, the are up to -40dB in the region of 80kHz! These "residues" are independet of Bit-Mapping options selected, as well..
Attached graphs do show this - any idea, how I can avoid that and what is happening there?

The spectrum analysis of the output at 88.2k sampling rate:

The spectrum analysis of the output at 176.4k sampling rate:

PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phenomenon you're witnessing with the out-of-band noise must be noise shaping, a technique used with delta-sigma modulation and DSD, hence on SACD.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_shaping

It continues to be a source of much debate.
dvdr

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer!
I knew about noise shaping, but constant out of band frequencies of -30 // -40 dB below peak level of the main signal? Could that really be??? I am worried, that this might "cover up" harmonics or be sonically problematic otherwise....
I found a picture on the web, that show noise shaping, but seems to have completely different levels - is that somehow comparable to my situation?

The complete post is here:
http://pro-sacd.lefora.com/2009/08/30/impulse-response-analog-pcm-and-dsd/
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure. Personally I'm interested in the science behind SACD but mainly care about how it sounds. I'm not intimately familiair with the details of noise shaping.
Bruce B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is DSD high frequency noise shaping. We see this on all the DSD files we get off of SACDs

Regards,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: