PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Wars in 3D?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Star Wars in 3D? Reply with quote

The Hollywood Reporter reports about plans to reissue all Star Wars movies in 3D (theatrically).

So far I always thought the offer of 3D movies on Blu-ray Disc was going to be limited, because unless you've got a 3D original or a CGI-rendered animation that you can redo (and 'remaster') in 3D you've only got 2D material to work with. The back catalogue of 3D movies goes back to the fifties but they've been few and far between.

I can imagine 3D TV sets come or will come with algorithms to convert all the legacy (and current) 2D material into 3D but is there really a conversion tool for 35mm movies that gives decent, acceptable results? Or should we perhaps expect some laborious manual process?
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most all the theatrical 3D venues are digital, so the question of "35mm" per se doesn't really enter into it.

They do a 4K scan of the film (which may already have been done if it has been released in standard blu-ray). They then run the thing through some processing that detects parallax and object borders to "create" left and right eye images.

Some current 3D films are done this way after the fact (e.g. Clash of the Titans) and it comes out pretty poorly. They have also done it with some older features (the Nightmare before Christmas 3D was done this way), but the results are not particularly impressive in my opinion. This is ho0w Star Wars would be done.

Others are shot in 2D, but with an eye to applying this processing ahead of time (Alice in Wonderland). Others, being CGI as you mention, can be rendered out in actual 3D (Toy Story 3, Aliens vs. Monsters, etc.)

And finally, there are movies shot in 3D (Avatar being the standout in this category).

For me, the latter 2 categories are the only ones that give a worthwhile 3D experience. Not particularly interested in seeing Star Wars in 3D. May do Ep. !V, V and VI only from the standpoint of seeing them theatrically with my kid for the first time.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
Most all the theatrical 3D venues are digital, so the question of "35mm" per se doesn't really enter into it.

They do a 4K scan of the film (which may already have been done if it has been released in standard blu-ray). They then run the thing through some processing that detects parallax and object borders to "create" left and right eye images.

Ah, of course. Why didn't I think of that? So it's basically the same sort of processing going on in a 3D TV at a higher resolution.

Quote:
Others are shot in 2D, but with an eye to applying this processing ahead of time (Alice in Wonderland).

Alice in Wonderland wasn't shot in 3D? Then the results are still very decen, going by the fragments I've seen. I couldn't imagine why a studio wouldn't shoot in 3D from the start if they're planning to release in 3D because it must be a headache to do it after the fact, with questionable results but apparently it's quite doable.
On the other hand, those fragments I saw were heavily CGI-enhanced.

I guess there's an interesting analogy with multichannel audio releases being derived from stereo masters through some automatic (probably Dolby Pro Logic-like) algorithm, with equally questionable results, such as the Eloquentia SACDs and the SilverLine DVD-Audios.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Alice. Some background:

http://venturebeat.com/2010/03/05/legend-3ds-work-on-display-in-alice-in-wonderland/

Some words from the company that did Alice:

http://3dvision-blog.com/talking-with-barry-sandrew-from-legend3d-about-2d-to-3d-conversion/
Brandon B

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
Ah, of course. Why didn't I think of that? So it's basically the same sort of processing going on in a 3D TV at a higher resolution..

While their mastering is done at higher resolution, today's D cinema is showing movies at 2048 x 1080.

Only Sony is selling a 4K projection system right now (SxRD), and no one really uses it. All the DLPs in theaters are currently the above rez. 4K units will be rolling out sometime real soon though.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
Re: Alice. Some background:

Some words from the company that did Alice:

Thanks, that answered a couple of my questions, like why would a studio still shoot in 2D when planning a 3D release. Also interesting to see: It takes a couple of weeks and is not a real-time on-the-fly conversion process. I guess (but they don't say so) it still involves a lot of manual tweaking. I suppose this gives rise to a new profession (like DVD and MPEG video compression brought us compressionists).
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just in:

Warner Bros. axes new 'Harry Potter' in 3D
Quote:
Warner Bros. has scuttled plans to release its newest "Harry Potter" in 3D after deciding that it could not complete a successful 2D-to-3D conversion in time for the movie's release next month.

The studio said Friday that when "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1" arrives in theaters on Nov. 19, it will be in 2D, in both conventional theaters and Imax theaters, but that "we will not have a completed 3D version of the film within our release date window."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Movies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: