PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HDMI + analog audio

View previous topic :: View next topic  
muritala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: HDMI + analog audio Reply with quote

How to hook my tv up to hdmi video but composite audio for surround sound? I have a Vizio hdtv and I want to keep the HDMI video but run composite audio to my surround sound. Is there a way to do this? I've tried everything and nothing worked. My friend did the same thing when he brought his tv over and it worked fine, but he has a different brand so idk.

Last edited by muritala on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken the liberty to split your question from the thread where you posted it and make it a separate topic.

What's not working? Is your TV not showing anything, or just not giving sound? Doesn't your receiver receive any audio? Or does it but isn't it surround? And lastly, what are you trying to get surround sound from -- SACD or some other source?
mattman657

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stereo Composite (ie. RCA Red/White, L/R) does not support true 5.1 channels. The only surround youll get is your receiver taking the 2 channel connection (from the 2 rca) and upmixing it using modes like Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS Neo6. I can't remember if Composite L/R supports 2 channel uncompressed PCM.

Your tv most likely has an audio out with the 2 RCA L/R outputs, run that to your receiver which most likely has an input for 2 channel, maybe a CD/TV input. It may also have a Digital Out using either a Digital Coaxial (also RCA connector) or a Digital Optical (Toslink) connection. Both of those support 2 channel uncompressed PCM and DO support LOSSY multichannel modes such as Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1. They do NOT support multichannel uncompressed PCM or the HD formats such as DD+, Dolby TruHD, DTS HDA, DTS HD-MA.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattMan, thanks for your effort but frankly I think by now you do not need to bother with this question. See my other post (separate thread) just now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: