PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dark Side doesn't show up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john.q.dough

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Dark Side doesn't show up Reply with quote

Hi all. This is my first post and I apologize if this topic has been already answered, but I couldn't find any info. Anyhow, my problem is that the SACD portion of my hybrid copy of Dark Side of the Moon will not show up when I pop the disk into my PS3. However, the standard 2 channel version of the disk does show up. I have an original release US 60GB console. I am 100% sure that some time in the not too distant past the console played the SACD portion of the disk, but for some reason it won't now. Needless to say, I am baffled and quite frustrated. Please help.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say 'standard 2-channel' do you mean the CD layer or the SACD stereo section? I'm asking because DSotM has both, in addition to multichannel SACD.

Also, does it still play DVDs, including dual-layer DVDs?
john.q.dough

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I mean the standard cd layer does show up while the sacd multichannel layer does not. I tried popping in a dual layer DVD and had some success and then some repeated failure. Sad More precisely, here's everything I've tried:

* Dark Side of the Moon - Hybrid CD/SACD - CD layer successfully plays, but the SACD layer does not appear
* Inception - Dual Layer DVD - Successfully played once, but now it won't show up
* The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition (Disk 1) - Dual Layer DVD - Will not show up
* 2001: A Space Odyssey - Blu-Ray Disk (Layers ?) - Successfully played
* Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition - PS3 Game (Layers ?) - Successfully played

What really baffles me is that the Inception DVD booted up and played just fine, then minutes later it failed to even load. Sad What is going on? Is my PS3's lens dying?
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenses don't die or even wear out; they could get dirty though.

Note that optical pick-ups need three different lasers and lenses for CD(R), DVD and BD. The PS3 game is most likely a BD-ROM. If you have any PS2 game it's probably DVD-ROM.
john.q.dough

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. So what are you suggesting? Clean the lens?

Edit: Just cleaned the lens (or at least tried to) and still nothing. I swear this is pissing me off. Inception worked earlier today and now no DVDs (not even single layer ones) will even, load let alone play. Mad
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you do it? With a cleaning disc, with a brush, or with a cotton stick with alcohol? Is the lens easy to reach?

BTW, I just looked up what the 60GB PS3's optical disc drive looks like and it seems to use a single-lens pick-up.

Anyway, if you're sure the lens is clean I fear the laser may have reached enf of life. If so, you'll need to have it serviced (replaced) by a technician. I have no idea however whether such parts for this model are still available.
john.q.dough

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't actually crack open the PS3 to clean the lens. Rather, I used one of those cleaning disk. Anyhow, what I don't get is that the problem is apparently exclusive to DVDs. I can play any CD, Blu-Ray, or PS3 game just fine. But when it comes to a DVD... nothing.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, combined with the fact that there seems to be a single lens is what makes me suspect that the DVD laser is at fault here while the CD and BD lasers and the rest of the system are fine. Just my amateur diagnosis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: