PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Putting SACD on Hard Disk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jens

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Putting SACD on Hard Disk Reply with quote

No, I'm not talking about the PS3's HDD -- as far as I'm aware you can't do that except rip the CD layer of a hybrid SACD in standard resolution -- but a PC's (or Mac etc.)

This month's issue of UHF (Ultra High Fidelity) describes how you can capture the (analog stereo) signal with an AD Converter and convert it to (176.4 kHz) high-resolution PCM.

See http://www.uhfmag.com/Issue87/Issue87.html

If you click on the magazine cover you'll get a free preview. You can see the first page of the article on p32.
wavoman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great link, thanks!

See also the following thread over at Head-Fi, which documents a number of ways of getting hi-res PCM from the PS3 HDMI output.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/ripping-sacds-via-spdif-176-4-ps3-455769/
dvdasacd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's now devices available to capture the raw DSD stream (even before it gets to the HDMI 1.2+ output stage) and send it over USB to the computer to capture the DSD stream that way, anyway.

See info here. [pics]
Yuri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvdasacd wrote:
See info here...

Hmm, my comprehension of Russian is not great, in fact non-existent. Is there any information in English about this?
dvdasacd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use google translate, it's the way I'm doing it. It's integrated in google toolbar or use google translate website. For more information, he can be PM'ed, and the guy in question does speak English.

N.b this is not the only DSD grabber out there, nor the first. Another one is someone at hydrogenaudio who mentioned his to me many months ago, it's a similar deal - capture raw DSD stream in the circuitry and pass it on to computer. (output was USB or maybe another connection of some sort).
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

similar to what wavoman posts, there's also a thread over at audio circle where some folks are using HDMI audio stream strippers to successfully pull the converted hi-rez stereo PCM off of HDMI from an SACD and send it over SPDIF to store it.

It's converted, but more usable with DACs at the moment. They have some specific product recommendations and such.
dvdasacd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
similar to what wavoman posts, there's also a thread over at audio circle where some folks are using HDMI audio stream strippers to successfully pull the converted hi-rez stereo PCM off of HDMI from an SACD and send it over SPDIF to store it.

It's converted, but more usable with DACs at the moment. They have some specific product recommendations and such.

Yes, that's an easier and more accessible method, though not as accurate as others in terms of comparison of original DSD file on the SACD to the file you end up with after the whole process.

As for converting DSD to PCM, there's a number of ways, including free methods like the foobar dsdiff decoder where it's easy to convert a DSD file to hi-res PCM, or there's DSD2PCM, and then there's commercial programs like Korg Audiogate and Philips Protech Audio Format Converter, Weiss Saracon DSD, etc. You can get demos for some of these retail programs.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I converted the two channel layer of 3 SACDs to 24/96 stereo PCM this weekend using the method I mentioned above. Pretty nice improvement over the redbook layer of the same SACDs.

I stuck with 96 Khz as the mac I am playing from only does 96KHz output over optical.

Other than the single speed playback required, the process was pretty quick. Set the PS3's output option to 96KHz stereo, connect the hardware inline and run an optical to my mac, playback the SACD and record the stream (I used Audacity), no attendance required, just come back before it finishes to hit stop. In Audacity, chop off the individual songs into AIFF files, convert to apple lossless with Max, add to iTunes.

In my second system where I am using the mac, I need to get a better DAC than the one built into the preamp, but even so, sounds pretty nice.

Obviates my need for a combination DAC/SCD player, so now I can focus on just getting a decent DAC. When I want multichannel, I'll stick with using the PS3 in my other system.
Jens

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting! Now wouldn't it be great if the manual chopping off weren't necessary anymore (or the other separate conversion steps could be integrated)...
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be nice. I don't have the time, talent, or motivation to create the tools necessary though.

I may try ripping one to 176.4 or 192KHz as well just to confirm it works.
Gennadyi

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3587818
Exact digital copy of SACD layer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: