PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steve Wilson's multichannel mix project wish list

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Steve Wilson's multichannel mix project wish list Reply with quote

Over at another forum I came across this interesting post:
Quote:
Did you know that Pete Townsend was working on a 5.1 mix of Quadrophenia but grew bored! That Robert Fripp had NO desire to revisit the King Crimson catalog but was bowled over when Steve Wilson (of Porcupine Tree fame) presented him with a 5.1 mix of "Elephant Talk" from Discipline which prompted Fripp to jump up and down in his chair. That Tom Petty is seriously considering remixing Damn the Torpedoes" for 5.1 as well as releasing his new album in 5.1 (blu-ray has been bantered around). For 10 consecutive pages, the December '09 issue of SOUND AND VISION enticed its readers with "possibilities." Steve Wilson went on to list 20 classic rock albums which would benefit from Surround encompassing artists as diverse as Kate Bush (Hounds of Love), Abba (Arrival), Jethro Tull (Thick As A Brick), to Lep Zeppelin IV, Japan (Tin Drum) to Frank Zappa (Joe's Garage, Acts I, II & III) and Prince {Sign of the Times), XTC {Skylarking), Radiohead (OK Computer) and Talk Talk (Laughing Stock). The Key word here is "enticing" the individual artists to take the plunge. Steve Wilson is available and willing but it's convincing the artists, themselves, to revisit their works and give the go ahead. The record companies may put financial considerations first and foremost, but the involvement of the Individual artists would certainly give the music business the major shot in the arm it so despertately needs at this juncture of RBCD and downloading LIMBO!

I think it's fantastic to have someone like Steve Wilson express these ideas.

I would instantly buy most of his top 20 albums remixed in surround and actually have some of those albums in the top of my own SACD wishlist. Heck, I hardly care about stereo SACD (Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden is one of the few I've got) and would even buy Laughing Stock on stereo SACD. It's one of the few albums in my substantial vinyl collection that I care to switch on my turntable for nowadays.

I so very much hope he can persuade more artists to let him work/cooperate on their music (and their labels or records companies to finance this).
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thus far Damn the torpedos (albeit without Wilson's involvement) and five King Crimson albums have materialized (albeit on DVD-Audio).

DVD-A.net reports two more KC albums are on the way: Discipline and Starless and Bible Black.

Let's seriously hope that after he is done with that catalog he'll get to work on the other 19 artists' work -- and more!
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: coverage of those two albums (including links) here.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read on ProgArchives that Steven Wilson has been making a 5.1 remix of Jethro Tull's Aqualung for the 40th Anniversay Edition.

According to a Q&A on the Jethro Tull forum it will be a 'regular DVD' i.e. DVD-Video with Dolby Digital and perhaps DTS but certainly no DVD-Audio. No SACD either, of course. Same silly thing as with the recent Caravan reissue. Shocking.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
Shocking.

Not really, given market penetration. Disappointing though.

I have all the Crimson releases so far, as I had them only on vinyl, or not at all. Same goes for SaBB (vinyl). I have two CD versions of Discipline already, though, and the second is pretty decent. Not sure I'll repurchase that. If it were Three of a Perfect Pair, I might, as that is one of my favorite KC albums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: