PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bryan Ferry's new album Immersion Edition not very immersive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Bryan Ferry's new album Immersion Edition not very immersive Reply with quote

After incidentally having played Bryan Ferry albums all week for no particular reason other than that I've always liked them I happen to find out he's got a new album coming up, Olympia.

As far as I can tell it's a studio album with new compositions i.e. not cover versions and I must say the cover art featuring Kate Moss photographed by Mario Testino look fantastic: glamorous and very evocative of Roxy Music albums (The Atlantic Years comes to mind)

Now I hadn't expected to see an SACD version of the album, but it is coming in four versions: Now the DVD could contain a 5.1 mix but especially the title Immersion Edition to me suggests something like surround sound. Unfortunately it's not quite that immersive. According to Bryan Ferry's official site the DVD contains:
- a 30-minute documentary consisting of track-by-track interviews with Bryan Ferry, the production team and musicians involved
- the music video for You Can Dance
- a behind-the-scenes featurette on the making of the album cover
The second CD contains alternative mixes of seven of the songs of the main CD.

It sounds lovely and sure, I can live with the fact that there's no multichannel mix, but whence the name 'Immersion Edition'?
Jens

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they planned (or even made) a multichannel mix but decided against it in the last minute? I don't know, honestly.

I do know that I'm very interested in this album. I just can't decide which version. The 2-disc edition comes in a nice booklet. I'm not sure if I like the 10" package of the 3-disc edition as much, though I guess it would fit in alright with the other 10" items in my record collection. The price premium is enormous however: $105 vs less than $20! That's a lot of money for an extra remix CD (and a fancy booklet, I suppose).

ETA: I do notice the price difference on Amazon.co.uk isn't quite as big: £45 vs £13.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bryan Ferry's new album Immersion Edition not very immer Reply with quote

That's right. In case anyone is interested, here are links to the American, British and European (German) Amazon sites and (today's) respective prices:
BTW, it seems as if there are two vinyl editions:
- one (ASIN B003VIW8EO) with this lace artwork:

This appears to originate in the US but is sold out everywhere.
- one (ASIN B00474ADY8) with the regular artwork. This seems to be a European edition and is still available there.
No idea whether it's 33rpm or 45rpm and what type (weight) of vinyl.

Here's what the two special edition CDs look like:
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the CD+DVD edition in a record shop in Europe this week and what struck me was that the DVD was NTSC. I was used to 'region 0' DVDs but still PAL copies for Europe and NTSC for North America.

Apparently the record company has now figured that most people have multi-standard DVD players and multi-standard TV sets so they can make do with a single SKU (like the music industry I think has typically been used to) rather than two or more worldwide (or even one or more per country) as is common in the movie business.

Is it a trend or an anomaly?
Jens

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that more lately.

Regarding the remix CD: I haven't checked if all of the mixes are covered here but SoundCloud's got an official Bryan Ferry channel where he's posted lots of remixes in recent weeks. Some great stuff here:

http://soundcloud.com/bryanferry/
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime it's occurred to me that this 'immersive' naming was not something exclusive to Bryan Ferry: Also the Pink Floyd reissues have an Immersive edition -- as well as a Discovery and Experience edition. I'm not sure if it's naming convention specific to Virgin/EMI or whether it's become common practice among other record companies too.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's for music you like so much you want to get it all over you.

Eyew. Grossed myself out.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever listened to the lyrics of Mariah Carey's Honey? Rather suggestive... Great video, by the way.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
In the meantime it's occurred to me that this 'immersive' naming was not something exclusive to Bryan Ferry: Also the Pink Floyd reissues have an Immersive edition -- as well as a Discovery and Experience edition.

The Pink Floyd Immersion Box sets are actually worthy of such a label: at least the ones of DSotM and WYWH contain the original Quad mix and the SACD 5.1 mix in Dolby Digital on DVD and in 24/96 on Blu-ray Disc.

Arrow http://www.ps3sacd.com/index.html#_20111009
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: