PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need a controller?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pepar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Do I need a controller? Reply with quote

Total noob ... obviously. I just bought a used PS3 with no cables or controller. Do I need a controller, or is there any other way to operate it?

Jeff

"I like the future. I'm in it." F. Theater
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You either need a game controller, or, if you will not be gaming but just using it for media, the blu-ray remote, which is cheaper, but can only control it for functions like movie payback etc, not gaming.
pepar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
You either need a game controller, or, if you will not be gaming but just using it for media, the blu-ray remote, which is cheaper, but can only control it for functions like movie payback etc, not gaming.

Thanks, I ventured out yesterday before the snowstorm hit and bought a controller. Unfortunately, we lost power a hour after I got back. And one hour ago it came back on. I am very much looking forward to turning this into an SACD ripper.

Jeff

PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, here is an overview of PS3 AV remotes:

http://www.ps3sacd.com/news.html#_20110219
Yuri

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering: Did that newer type AV RC ever get released outside of Japan? I can't seem to find it on Amazon.
pepar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hooked my PS3 to a 1280x1024 monitor via HDMI-to_DVI cable and got nothing. I hooked it to a second and got the same thing. I then attached it to a newer 1980x1080 monitor and got video. I found the display settings and turned OFF everything but 720 and 480, and tried the other monitors again ... still nothing. Back to the monitor that worked to turn off 720 and set A/R to 4:3. Still nothing on the older monitors.

I have other displays around the house, and could even use the 1920x1080 one if I had to. But it is for my main computer and the others "around the house" are not a convenient, especially with respect to ethernet.

Can anybody steer me around this issue? BTW, I confirmed 2.70 firmware.

Thanks,
Jeff

Brandon B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all DVI inputs are HDCP compliant, and the PS3 will not display on them through HDMI if they are not. HDMI has HDCP compliance in all cases as it is explicit in the HDMI spec.

Did you try holding down the PS3's power button during startup so it will detect the display and default to the minimum settings it can to insure some sort of picture comes through?

If so and that did not work, likely those monitors have non-compliant inputs, and they won't work.
pepar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
Not all DVI inputs are HDCP compliant, and the PS3 will not display on them through HDMI if they are not. HDMI has HDCP compliance in all cases as it is explicit in the HDMI spec.

Did you try holding down the PS3's power button during startup so it will detect the display and default to the minimum settings it can to insure some sort of picture comes through?

If so and that did not work, likely those monitors have non-compliant inputs, and they won't work.

Thanks, Brandon. That is exactly the issue, the non-working displays are not HDCP-compliant.

Jeff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: