PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plextor PX-230A CD-ROM able to read SACD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asillito

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Plextor PX-230A CD-ROM able to read SACD Reply with quote

I am a new member !!!!
I have a PLextor PX-230A that according to it's specs is able to read SACDs. The PlexTools that come with it really don't do anything short of playing the hybrid info on the SACD. Can anyone suggest a way to extract the DSD portion of the disk .... or read/play it ?
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the specifications do state:
Quote:
Logical CD
Read/Write:
Audio CD, Super Audio CD, Mixed Mode, CD-ROM
Mode-1, CD-ROM Mode-2, CD-ROM XA Mode 2
(Form 1, Form 2), CD-I Bridge (Video CD), Photo CD
(single and multi-session), CD-DA, CD-Extra, CD-R,
CD-RW, CD TEXT, Karaoke CD (VCD format), Video
CD, SVCD, Multi-session, CD+G (Read Only)

I guess they forgot to mention it's only the CD layer of the SACD that it reads.

Seriously, you can forget about reading the HD layer of an SACD with this drive, or with any CD-ROM or CD-R/RW drive for that matter.

If there's any PC drive out there that reads SACDs, it'll have to be a DVD drive of some sort. With a 780 nm wavelength IR laser you can read CDs but no SACD or DVD -- for that you need a 650 or 635 nm red laser.
asillito

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Why have SACD on the spec Reply with quote

I would have to assume any CD player can read the CD portion of the SACD, but the manufacturers do not say SACD in their specs. There must be another reason why Plextor put SACD in their specs.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For PC drives it's rather common to list all the technical formats they're 'compatible' with, I guess because it's considered important competitive stuff to have all the tickmarks, while with SACD players it is not. There, looks and form factor (and of course audio performance) may play an important role whereas all PC drives look virtually identical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: