PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New soon to be PS3 owner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony22

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: New soon to be PS3 owner Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm a long time audio guy who did his CD ripping to a music server many years ago (EAC to FLAC, now dBpoweramp to lossless FLAC). I've been examining the prospect of getting a proper PS3 to be able to store off my SACDs. I picked up a CECH-B01 off eBay. Claimed to be in excellent condition, fully functional, with FW 3.30.

I wanted to get clarification (after I bought it of course! Smile ). I should be able to upgrade to 3.55, install kmeaw's 3.55 version (follow all the instructions), install SACD Ripper, and then be able to rip the SACD DSD layer, yes? I ask because I saw a thread a bit down but on the first page talking about FW version 2.00. Isn't kmeaw 3.55 plus SACD Ripper basically supposed to provide al the same capbilities of getting the SACD data off the disc, so that we don't have to try and track down a 2.00 PS3?
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. The only unique benefit of FW2.00 is transcoding of multichannel DSD to DTS 5.1 for surround output via optical out but that's likely of no use for what you aim to achieve.
tony22

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I just got my B01 today. It powered up fine, and sure enough it had FW 3.30. I installed 3.55, and then I think I installed kmeaw CFW 3.55 - but I'm not sure. I had to do a forced install (after going into Restore mode). It looked like it installed but when I checked the System Info it still said 3.55. Is that correct?

Let me just repeat that I'm intending to make backup copies of my own SACDs, so I hope the following questions are allowed.

How do I know for sure that kmeaw CFW 3.55 is installed?

Is kmeaw CFW 3.55 an alternative to OtherOS++?

I read that the next steps are to install SACD-Ripper, and needing the PS3 root keys. I think I found the ripper program (the executable is called sacd_extract ?), but I'm not sure what these keys are for.

I don't want to get anyone into any trouble!
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a fairly comprehensive thread at audio circle where you may get more advice:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95396.0
tony22

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sir!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: