PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Peter Gabriel news: SW Live on BD, So 3-CD set, more

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: More Peter Gabriel news: SW Live on BD, So 3-CD set, more Reply with quote

1. So 3-CD set (25th Anniversary Edition)

A mailing I got from Peter Gabriel (surely not from the man himself) states: "To coincide with the [North American 'Back To Front'] tour, So will be re-issued on Sept 17 (UK/Europe) Sept 18 (USA) as a CD, special edition 3-CD set, and Super Deluxe Box Set . " A 3-disc set sounds Super Deluxe enough to me :) but kidding aside, I'd love to know what's going to be on these extra discs. The forum on his site could not tell me the answer yet.

Of course I'd love to see a 5.1ch SACD of the album included here but I'm not too hopeful about that. All of his albums (including So) have been reissued on SACD but only Up in multichannel.

2. Secret World Live remastered

What we do get in multichannel (Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1) is a remastered version of the Secret World Live concert video, on DVD and (for the first time) on Blu-ray Disc. The original DVD BTW also contained DD and DTS 5.1. One more thing that is new is that Red Rain has been added -- a track that was already included on the CD of the same tour. More details here.

3. Live Blood 2-CD

"Following last year's New Blood Live in London DVD, Blu-Ray and 3D disc [see this thread - T7T] comes Live Blood - a live 2-CD set recorded at the London Hammersmith Apollo on March 23rd 2011."
Amazon list the audio CD's title as New Blood Live in London though.

The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more information about 'So25', from Peter Gabriel's site: http://petergabriel.com/so25/
Quote:
'So' album remastered: Engineer Richard Chappell explains why

"In planning the 25th anniversary release of ‘So’ Peter was very keen to go back to original sonic ‘vision’ for the album. The album had been remastered in 2002 by Tony Cousins but Ian Cooper was the original mastering engineer at the Townhouse Studio in 1986. 25 years on Peter went back to Ian to reconsider the mastering process. In early 2012 Peter and Ian met at Metropolis Mastering Studios (where Ian now works) and together they listened to the original half inch master tapes. Ian made some experimental changes but both he and Peter agreed that it sounded great as it was. Incredibly Ian actually had the original notes from the session 25 years before! They ended up approaching the mastering in the same way that they had at the very first session. A small amount of eq was added now and again and the limiting for the CD master was done using new prism converters.

Peter was happy with the final result. I then came back to Real World Studios to test the remaster and put it up against the first version of ‘So’ and the 2002 remaster. The new remaster by Ian stands up really very well against the original ‘So’ , now with even clearer definition in the top end. With the 2002 remaster Peter asked Tony to make some significant changes from the original – much more bottom end and mid range plus more compression added. Ian’s 2012 version is as true to the original as possible, but with the use of improved technology of today’s converters, it is a genuinely superior sound."

Richard Chappell

So, less compression than the previous reissue. Sounds good.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 25th Anniversary Edition remastered CD and 'Immersion' box set are now available.

(More pictures on Discogs)

The track details and other contents are now known. Four CDs (2x So, 2x Live in Athens), Two DVDs (the same live concert, formerly released on VHS and LD as PoV, and the recent 'Classic Albums, the making of So' plus two vinyl discs. No SACD, as expected, but still great stuff. I want one for sure.

Still remarkable that they managed to collect so much bonus content yet miss out the track I expected most: Don't break this rhythm, the B-side of Sledgehammer.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Gabriel has responded to the open letter of Paul Sinclair, explaining among other things why they decided against including a 5.1 mix of So in the anniversary edition box set.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/peter-gabriel-responds-to-open-letter-about-the-so-deluxe-box-set/

Fair enough. Still a pity. Not bad to have the Live in Athens concert mixed in 5.1 though. And the Play DVD-Video (not included).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: