PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yes - Fragile

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brandon B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Yes - Fragile Reply with quote

Well, gotta say this SACD is a mixed bag.

On the one hand, this is by far the cleanest and clearest I have ever heard this album. It will undoubtedly be the main way I listen to it from here on out. Extension on the pipe organ on Can and Brahms is great.

But. On the surround mix, they have added some slight reverb to several of the tracks that just does not work for me. I much prefer the original dry and tight feel the album had. Also, the bass has been emphasized a bit. Not at the expense of hearing the rest of the frequency spectrum, and being a bit of a bass nut, not necessarily unappreciated by me, but it is a change from the album I've been listening to for 33 years.

But lastly and most egregiously, there are missing elements in the multichannel mix of South Side of the Sky. They are there on the stereo mix, but they literally left them out on the surround version. Really no excuse for that.

Oh well.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a surround mix on the SACD? I thought the SACD reissue was stereo only and for a 5.1 mix one had to resort to the DVD-Audio.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it's got 5.1. This is a newer release, not the older SACD from several years back.

As I said though, even without the omission, they've added a little processing I am not wild about on Roundabout and SSotS. Long Distance Runaround/Fish and Heart of the Sunrise didn't come off as much altered, so I enjoyed them more.

Certainly worth getting if you don't have it in surround.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you happen to know whether it's the same mix as the DVD-A?
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No real idea. I think maybe not given the missing info, did not see complaints about that about the DVD-A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: