PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene 30th anniversary edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roberto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I may be closer to clarifying this.

It does indeed appear to be a cynical marketing ploy.

There are 3 versions of "The New Master" of Oxygene.

Version 1 is a regular Redbook audio CD in stereo, of the studio version of the New Master.

Version 2 appears to be a regular Redbook audio CD in stereo (not SACD) of the studio version of the New Master and a DVD that comes with the regular 2D version of the "Live In Your Living Room" concert with 5.1 Dolby & PCM stereo audio. It also comes with the studio version of the New Master in 5.1 DD/DTS & PCM stereo on the DVD.

Version 3 comes with the regular Redbook audio CD, in stereo, of the studio version of the New Master and a DVD that contains both the 2D and 3D versions of the "Live In Your Living Room" concert with 5.1 Dolby and PCM stereo audio but no version of the studio recording of the New Master in 5.1 DD/DTS or PCM stereo.

So, if you're like me and wanted the 3D film and the studio album in 5.1, you will need to purchase two different versions (2 + 3).

I have just ordered the 2D version so I will confirm this once it arrives.

Being a JMJ fan certainly isn't cheap, and to say I'm a bit pi**ed off would be an understatement.
dieroboter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's right. DTS version of the album ONLY in 2D version of Oxygène. It's confirmed by fans at some Jarre forums I've read while ago.

Really a shame. I wonder how many times one will watch that DVD in 3D... Very Happy I strongly recommend the 2D version. The DTS version of the album is the best of the package IMHO.

He comes to play it live here in Spain, still waiting for the tickets prices...
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now to add to the confusion further, here's a packshot of the NTSC version of the CD+DVD release I found on eBay.

No mention of any DTS whatsoever! Does the PAL edition differ from the NTSC one in this respect?
Roberto

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
No mention of any DTS whatsoever! Does the PAL edition differ from the NTSC one in this respect?

I will let you know when I receive mine next week.

It wouldn't surprise me if the NTSC & PAL versions differed somehow. Many 5.1 albums appear in different formats Stateside than their European counterparts.

I did notice the other day that my 3D version was the NTSC version. Strange, seeing as I bought it from Amazon UK. Doesn't make much difference TBH, but curious nonetheless.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roberto wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if the NTSC & PAL versions differed somehow.

Either that or the information on the sleeve is just sloppy. That wouldn't surprise me either given the mistakes in the microsite information mentioned above (SACD, Dolby Theatre System, etc.)
Roberto

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
Roberto wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if the NTSC & PAL versions differed somehow.

Either that or the information on the sleeve is just sloppy. That wouldn't surprise me either given the mistakes in the microsite information mentioned above (SACD, Dolby Theatre System, etc.)

Indeed.

Aero was a much better presented package all round. Maybe the departure from Dreyfus to EMI has had a negative impact. Stange if it had as EMI are responsible for many of the classical SACD releases.

Anyway, as soon as I have it in my sweaty little hands, I'll let you know Smile
dieroboter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sleeve lacks some info, indeed. As I said, the album comes in DTS in the DVD. It's more than checked and listened here at home Very Happy

Also, I hate how he loves to put that "Video recorded in HD" everywhere, and then he releases a lousy DVD. Come on, if you have the technology and made a nice recording, put it on a Bluray...

Thanks God PS3 does a good job upconverting DVDs... hehe
Roberto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dieroboter wrote:
Also, I hate how he loves to put that "Video recorded in HD" everywhere, and then he releases a lousy DVD. Come on, if you have the technology and made a nice recording, put it on a Bluray...

Yes, my sentiments too Smile
Roberto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just got my PAL version of the CD+ 2D DVD and it is exactly as I described above. The DVD contains Live In Your Living Room and the studio album in DD/DTS/PCM.

The sleeve is virtually identical to that shown above except the PAL version seems to have the AERO logo underneath the Capitol logo. Other than that, identical and no mention of 5.1 formats.

Still, I'm happy now that I can enjoy the new master in 5.1 Smile
Roberto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, just to clarify, contrary to the official website, the CD does not have an SACD layer.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but that website certainly contravenes UK Trades Description laws.

Constant claims of "HD Video" are completely misleading. True, it may have been filmed in an HD format, but it is presented on regular DVD with 576 lines of resolution, not the minimum 720 as required by standard HD. Plus, the very fact it is released on DVD VIdeo and not HD-DVD or BluRay is also a dead giveaway. What do EMI take us for ?

I, for one, am not impressed.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the DTS is on the disc, it's just the description that's flawed? Thanks for letting me know. I'm going to order my copy right now.
steve0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multichannel mix of the album!
Roberto

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve0 wrote:
Multichannel mix of the album!

Er...ok Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: