PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DTS-CD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: DTS-CD Reply with quote

How are experiences with DTS-CD on PS3? We currently don't have any to try it out.

One guest wrote to us via the feedback form, after reading the advice in our FAQ:

Quote:
I have not intentionally enabled CD upsampling, however the new firmware only gives you the option of 48khz or 44.1/88/176khz (i think!). I have tried both options but both only give me white noise on DTS-CD and the guy that replied to my thread at afterdawn confirmed this. Previously, whenever I played SACD's my receiver would pick up 2 channel SACD's as 176khz PCM and 5.1 as 88khz PCM where as now it only outputs PCM. I have tried messing around with all options but nothing changes. I must add that I did not fiddle with any of the options for the PCM signal to change, I can only assume that it was the latest firmware update. Unfortunately, no one at the avforum has replied to my thread and only 1 at afterdawn has, but they have confirmed my problem this.

[...] I seem to be the only person in the world that seems to care!

Last edited by PS3SACD on Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
culabula

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm away from home (and my beloved music) but I will try my one and only DTS-CD as soon as I get back!
culabula

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played my DTS disc and was offered a choice (in the onscreen menu) of surround DTS or PCM stereo. Chose the former and it worked perfectly -and beautifully. Very impressed.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

culabula wrote:
I played my DTS disc and was offered a choice (in the onscreen menu) of surround DTS or PCM stereo.

Then this was a DTS DVD? Do you have any DTS CD to try?
culabula

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squelch! yet another of those senior moments I've been having of late....sorry 'bout that. Yeah, it's a DTS DVD. I'll let meself out.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem!

One more thing: was this choice between DTS multichannel and PCM stereo presented by an on-disc menu or by the PS3's system menu?
Broadwing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

culabula wrote:
Squelch! yet another of those senior moments I've been having of late....sorry 'bout that. Yeah, it's a DTS DVD. I'll let meself out.

I just tried this - DTS CD does not work, in fascinating fashion.

Trying the Days of Future Past DTS-CD (I didn't know at the time, I believe there's an SA-CD of this - oops), I get a 'CD' on the music section of the XMB, proper track number/length, even track name retrieval... And near-white-noise as the output.

Interestingly, when trying upsampled CD output and bitmapping 'off' on this CD, I got multichannel white noise very briefly.

Err, scratch all that, kind of. I got a hunch that if I could get the PS3 to let out the unmolested 44.1/16 stream, the receiver might pick up the DTS stream and 'just be happy'. I went into the HDMI audio menu and deselected everything but the 44.1 options, then selected the "44.1/88.2...." option for output. I started the playback and the receiver hemmed and hawwed mightily for a second and now I have seemingly flawless DTS playback off a DTS CD. I bet this would also work over the optical out, with the same settings, which would then make it far easier. (swap back and forth between HDMI and optical for your needs) ...I'll try this once I play through the disc a bit.
Broadwing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing confirms it: DTS-CD is a go, but you must do the following in order to get 100% straight-off-disc data to digital out:

Under "Audio Output Settings":
Select HDMI or Optical. If using HDMI, stipulate you want to use manual settings.
On the settings screen, deselect LPCM 2ch 88.2 and 176.4. Leave only 44.1. You can leave AC-3 and DTS on or off, doesn't matter. 48khz cannot be turned off.

Under "Music Settings":
Audio CD Output Frequency: "44.1/88.2/176.4 kHz"
Bitmapping does not matter at this point: Tested Off and Type 2.

Done! I'd recommend doing this over Optical so you can leave your HDMI settings free of fiddling, but it's easy enough to go back and forth between auto and manual HDMI.

...if this goes in the FAQ or back to the requester, there's some heavy caveats. This should work for anyone, but if it's done wrong (selecting 48khz CD output or leaving in a high-rate CD out option in the audio settings), you'll get an unholy blast of white noise. First try at low volume, naturally. DTS-CD exists in a wacky world on the knife edge of player support, so YMMV heavily, especially on how tolerant your A/V gear is - I can state that the Onkyo TX-SR705 works flawlessly with the PS3 on this, but...
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sorting this out. I've added your advice to the FAQ: http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html#_Toc177216814
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: