PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need expert help! (might be off-topic but concerns PS3 SACD)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Need expert help! (might be off-topic but concerns PS3 SACD) Reply with quote

Ok Sorry if this bends the line a bit between on and off topic, but I think you all would be more knowlegable than any other place about this.

I would like to get a 5.1 audio system for my PS3, CDs and SACDs, and my PC, and FM Radio. An A/V receiver with HDMI 1.3 + Speakers would be just to expensive for my income, so I've decided to go with a Home Theather in a Box, which has optical inputs and has a built in CD/SACD player.

The Sony DAV-HDX275 can do these things, does anyone have any experience with this HTiB?
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=158HDX275&tp=6419&tab=detailed_info

Also for speakers such as those, will I be able to get the full benifits of SACD and the PS3?

Since I'm primarity using this for Audio, and the system be configured easily without connecting it to a monitor?
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feared for a moment the system might not have actual SACD support at all, only playback of the RBCD layer of hybrid discs, after all the description on the Crutchfield site doesn't mention it other than in the list of formats it accepts. Moreover, it's the same situation on the Sony Style site.

A close look at the high-resolution picture however reveals an SACD logo so you're OK there.

As for enjoying the benefits of PS3, you'll be stuck without Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD. Optical output does not support these audio formats.

The only other suggestion: Buy it via PS3SACD.com by clicking here Mr. Green
ken_wilsonii

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: DSD, Dolby TrueHD Receiver, best option price wise Reply with quote

is the Yamaha V663 BL at $500.00

This is a new receiver model in stores, supports sacd/DSD via HDMI, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD and DTS master audio all via HDMI also.
and you don't necesarily need new speakers

I have a pair of really old Technics speakers for right and left channell.
Just make sure they cover hearing range of the human ear. Granted they are 200w per channel speakers, but they are about 20 years old.

Recommend a 5.1 setup, you could always buy a resonable set of speakers later or piece it together slowly (which is what I did).

I don't even have a sub-woofer, quite a few SACD don't even have the sub-woofer channel or are in stereo. My "Dances with Wolves" SACD is a stereo mix. Best SACD stereo SACD I have heard to date, quite impressive Very Happy
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I tell if the Yamaha RX-C663 has DSD support? It does not mention on any of its specifications. The reason why I ask is because I'd like to look at one of the 5.1 models instead of 7.1 and I need to no what terms to look for to know that it does DSD. Not all HDMI 1.3 suppport it right?
ken_wilsonii

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: per the manual Reply with quote

TJ-Max wrote:
How can I tell if the Yamaha RX-C663 has DSD support? It does not mention on any of its specifications. The reason why I ask is because I'd like to look at one of the 5.1 models instead of 7.1 and I need to no what terms to look for to know that it does DSD. Not all HDMI 1.3 suppport it right?

True not all 1.3 support it this one does and its the V663. The manual shows the display that inlcudes the DSD display and is confirmed under the HDMI compatibility section.

Go to the website and download the manual I don't trust online specs.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=567571&CTID=5000300

Go to downloads tab a scroll towards bottom of page for downloading the manual. and this receiver is 7.2 capabale for 2 sub woofers. Almost all receivers can be configured for 5.1 or even 5.0 (my current setup)
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RX-V663 probably does, as does its predecessor, the RX-V661, but Yamaha has not yet confirmed our query.
ken_wilsonii

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Onkyo 606 might be a good option also Reply with quote

Onkyo 606
IT appears to support quite a bit audio wise also and has a HD radio tuner

IT does have some odd caveats on the DSD, however.

This is directly from the manual I downloaded from Onkyo

*1. DSD signals are processed after conversion to PCM.
*2. North American model doesn’t have Pure Audio listening mode.

If you can select PCM or DSD output on your SACD player, in some cases, selecting PCM will provide the best sound quality.
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS3SACD wrote:
The RX-V663 probably does, as does its predecessor, the RX-V661, but Yamaha has not yet confirmed our query.

After a quick look at the manual, of the v661 there are several references to DSD support starting with page 16.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: