PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firmware v2.40

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Firmware v2.40 Reply with quote

According to this CVG article, firmware v2.40 will take another three weeks or so until release but will include the following features:
  • Friend category
  • View, send, receive messages
  • Manage downloads
  • Set the vibration feature of the controller
  • Sign in to PlayStation Network
  • Register friends
  • Manage Bluetooth devices
  • Terminate the game
  • Music category
  • Use the system BGM
  • Work the system BGM operation panel
  • Settings category
  • Assign controllers
  • View profiles
  • Game category
  • Set audio devices
  • Use the voice changer

I'm intrigued by this audio devices setting. Has anyone got a clue what it does precisely?
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I don't like about Sony. They think thier cool to surround themselves in secrects. And when they do cough up info, its usally badly translated and meaningless jargon.

Since the key feature of 2.4 is the In-Game XMB, it is suggested all the features mentioned will be what is availible in the In-Game XMB. So the Audio Device set up has to be in harmony with that. My guess is its an option that allows you to select an audio source, ie HDD, flash drive, DLNA, prehaps even the PS3 CD drive for HDD based games.
Who can really say for sure? And knowing Sony people will still be asking what it is even after its released.
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok The Audio Device feature is actually already in the PS3. I was playing Burnout Paradise, I was able to access through the options. It is a option that that allows to the adjust the settings of a mircphone, headset, and bluetooth devices. So now the option will be accessible from the XMB for games that don't have the Audio Device options through thier own option menus.
dieroboter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add some news here, firmware 2.40 is not available any longer for update. Sony retired it, there are some stability problems, and a great number of users got problems with their consoles, not booting correctly after the update. It's said that this error can be solved plugging the PS3 hard drive to a PC and formatting it (funny huh? start your GTAIV game again, lol!). A new firmware version will come soon.

How can they offer a faulty firmware update? They should have test it a zillion times before releasing it. Of course this is not the first case, and won't be the last, but I'm still puzzled about it...
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dieroboter wrote:
Just to add some news here, firmware 2.40 is not available any longer for update.

Correct. We reported it on the home page. Sorry we forgot to mention it here.

Quote:
How can they offer a faulty firmware update? They should have test it a zillion times before releasing it.

Of course they should have, and they probably have. Bear in mind that by now there are a zillion squared different states the PS3 can be in. There are the seven different models, some 23 different earlier firmware versions combined with limitless combinations of savegames, game installations and other downloads on the Hard Disk Drives.
dieroboter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, but I still think all this doesn't justify them.

If you agree to pay what this machine costs, they cannot make such mistakes. Let's get serious with these big companies. I'm not getting their stuff as a plain user just to be a pseudo-beta tester. And most of the PS3 users may not be aware of a solution for their broken consoles. Actually, they shouldn't have to.

Maybe we are getting too used to it, but I can't stand buying a new game and spending 1 hour downloading a big update or patch the same week of its release.
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record I downloaded the 2.40 update and my PS3 is fine.
But PS3SACD is correct in that there are too many variations of conditions and circumstances between each Gamers PS3, that it is impossible to be sure to have them up and running 100% across the board.

When they test these firmwares they do it in a "lab enviornment" ie; under perfect conditions, (all default settings, no downloaded content, idle room/system temperature etc)

But the problem with 2.40 is to be related to the hard drives with custom content for the XMB themes loaded. At least thats what is seems, and I think thats the only reason why you have to format the drive just to so you can get your custom theme back to its default.
Yuri

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ-Max wrote:
When they test these firmwares they do it in a "lab enviornment" ie; under perfect conditions [...] But the problem with 2.40 is to be related to the hard drives with custom content for the XMB themes loaded.

I think they're smarter than that and will test under many more varying conditions but clearly they overlooked something. No wonder they're guarding this environment as a walled garden as much as possible, because even now things can still go wrong. Imagine this were an open environment.

I'm glad I didn't install any custom themes. I'd hate having to format my HDD.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prediction about v2.41 seems to be right, according to this coverage.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V2.41 is available from the Sony site now.

See http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/07/07/ps3-system-software-update-v241/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: