PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony to launch online video service for PS3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Sony to launch online video service for PS3 Reply with quote

See http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-sony21apr21,1,152898.story

Although the article doesn't mention this at all, I presume the service will include High-Definition video, after all HD is what PlayStation3 is all about, and Xbox360 and Apple TV's second incarnation have already set an expectation level here.
Yuri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's official now, according to this article from The Register:
Quote:
Summertime movie downloads for PS3 fans
By James Sherwood
26th June 2008 13:36 GMT

Sony has confirmed that it’ll launch its movie downloads service for the PlayStation 3 in the US this summer. However, European film fans will have to wait a little longer.

In the firm’s Corporate Strategy Update (CSU) FY2008-2010 document, Sony said it plans to “roll out video services across key Sony products by FY2010, starting with the summer 2008 launch on the PlayStation Network”. Unfortunately, the document only refers to the US and says nothing about a similar European launch.

However, according to a report by the Associated Press, Kazuo Hirai, chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment, has since said that a European announcement will be made next month. This could mean Sony will announce the date at the E3 gaming conference, which kicks off in the US in July.

Sony’s latest CSU also revealed that it expects to achieve profitability in its game segment during the fiscal year ending 31 March 2009. This, Sony claims, will be possible through hardware cost reductions and a greater line-up of PS3 software titles.

Earlier this week, it was reported how the firm’s PS3 pricing strategy has caused it to lose around $3bn (£1.5bn/€1.9bn) over the past two fiscal years. ®
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a slide from that 'strategy document'.

The article suggests it may come by 2009 but the picture rather seems to indicate 2010.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2009? It's out now isn't it? A corworker already bought a TV show.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
It's out now isn't it?

In the US (and Canada, I suppose) it is but in the UK, Europe and Australia not yet.

The UK does have a video download service for PSP (via PC) though. It's a cooperation between Sony and Sky.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aah, you're across the pond.

Haven't rented anything myself yet, but I probably will this weekend. I'll compare it to my Apple TV experience once I do so.

BB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Movies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: