PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New PS3 model by early August

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: New PS3 model by early August Reply with quote

This article shows a piece of paper reportedly from Walmart indicating the 40GB unit will be replaced by a successor model next month:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/08/rumor-wal-mart-memo-says-40gb-ps3-to-be-replaced-in-august/

I'm curious what the specs will be. Remarkable that not more has leaked out so far, like in the past with the FCC procedures. Perhaps this will be another model without WiFi (this probably being the new entry-level model), not requiring such approval? Or is that needed even for just BlueTooth?

I wouldn't expect them to come with a WiFi-less model anymore now, especially since PS3's fortunes have shifted so favourably lately. On the other hand, Microsoft still gets away with selling Xbox360s without 802.11.

I'm also hoping we'll see more penetration of SACD, of course.
Yuri

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we'll see an announcement at E3.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With their rumored movie rental announcement next month as well, I would bet on a lower priced model WITH wifi, rather than without. People don't want to run an ethernet cable to where their TV is to rent movies.

BB
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This speculation can be concluded now.

Specs:
- WiFi: yes
- SACD: no

Release:
- Europe: August 27; €399 / £299
- Australia: August 28; $699
- USA: September (no date specified); $399
BBowermaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The specs were announced at E3. They are replacing the 40gb with an 80gb "CORE" system.

The current speculation is that they are currently releasing 40gbs with the bigger hard drive now to burn through the 40gb motherboards they have on hand. Then they will release another 80gb (of course, seemless to the customer) with the relocated Bluetooth antenna and smaller chips (45nm core and 65nm RSX graphics)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: