PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chances of DSD streaming actually appearing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
t-force

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Chances of DSD streaming actually appearing? Reply with quote

With the arrival of the SCD-XA5400ES, and Sony finally producing a player that is capable of streaming DSD over HDMI, do we think that this might mean we'll see an update to the PS3's firmware that would enable it to do the same? I'm well aware that people feel that the PS3 can't bitstream the high-end movie soundtracks because the PS3's HDMI socket does not fully comply with the 1.3 specification, but surely it should all up to speed on 1.2, shouldn't it?

Or do we think that as Sony has ditched SACD support on its newer PS3 models it is just going to hope that it goes away quietly, and will never mention anything to do with SACD again?
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Chances of DSD streaming actually appearing? Reply with quote

Surely they must have hoped it would go quietly. I believe they didn't mentioned removal of SACD compatibility explicity, and they got away with it a lot more quietly than with the removal of PS2 compatibility.

Yet like I wrote in the other thread, I'm doubtful we'll ever see DSD output on PS3. Initially I hoped Sony was simply waiting until there'd be a Sony AV Receiver with DSD input but that already happened a year ago and changed nothing.

Perhaps the lack of transparent output of DSD (and Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio) via HDMI is a concession Sony Computer Entertainment had to make to Sony's AV division, so at least the latter could keep some exclusive features to justify the higher prices of their SACD and BD players.

Sony has not ditched SACD or DSD; not even SCE has -- probably they've just had to make a pragmatic sacrifice to save costs. All PS3 models still support DSD Disc playback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: