PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SACD playback via optical output?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: SACD playback via optical output? Reply with quote

One of our readers reports that with firmware v2.00 it's possible to play SACD with digital audio output via optical out, something that has thus far definitely been impossible.

We're going to try this and will get back shortly. In the meantime if anyone can confirm this please post here.
jcarys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, things have definitely changed. When I put a hybrid in, the PS3 let me select among the CD, th 2 channel and the MC layers. I'm playing the MC right now, but my receiver is interpreting this as DTS surround. I really doubt the PS3 is re-encoding this, so I'll have to play around with the reciever for a bit to see what it's actually getting, and whether I can play it direct. More later...thanks for the news!
FunkyMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I have been testing usign the optical out. Playing the SACD MC layer, I too get DTS output. WHen I disable DTS output in the PS3 sound settings menu, it goes down to 48kHz stereo.

For 2channel SACD, I get 48kHz, i.e. same as CD.

So it seems that via optical, the PS3 does indeed re-encode MC to DTS (impressive compromise for non-HDMI equipped receivers), and 48kHz for the 2 channel, i.e. same sampling as DTS.

In other words, the PS3 does its best using optical, but certainly not comparable to the HDMI PCM signal of 176kHz resolution.
md47

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In other words, the PS3 does its best using optical, but certainly not comparable to the HDMI PCM signal of 176kHz resolution.

i thought the dsd stream went through the hdmi to the receiver..? y'all are saying that this is not the case, and that the ps3 decodes it first, and then sends it as pcm..?

thx
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, yes. PS3 does not (yet) support DSD output and converts the signal to (hi-res) multichannel PCM for HDMI output, or -- since v2.00 -- to DTS via digital optical output.
FunkyMonkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

md47 wrote:
Quote:

i thought the dsd stream went through the hdmi to the receiver..? y'all are saying that this is not the case, and that the ps3 decodes it first, and then sends it as pcm..?

thx

Yes, all SACD fans are waiting for the DSD output ability, although I read briefly someone mention that the electronic hardware is not in the PS3 to allow this. However, given that the SACD fans are anticipating this ability nevertheless, makes me assume that DSD can be processed using the software and output thus. I don't even know the technicalities, so don't quote me on anything!
usernameuser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: ps3 linux dsd playback? Reply with quote

Hey guys do you think you can play SACD in Linux, if so it could be the first ever computer that plays SACD? can you imagine? and lets not stop there, perhaps you could rip the dsd track of SACD and burn your own mixes, or burn a DVD-A, if thats possible.
But probably not, knowing sony they probably restrict the SACD part of the PS3 with their hypervisor, or they built a separate chip that decodes SACD and its not accessible though Linux.
Is any Linux Masters around maybe they'll know for sure.
usernameuser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: DSD optical in receiver? Reply with quote

I think that even if the PS3 could output DSD via optical, receivers probably are unable to read DSD through the optical plug, as in hardware that wasn't designed to be able to read DSD signal, example: trying to plug a yellow video cable to the red audio plug on a tv. but maybe a media player on PS3 Linux could decode the DSD to the optical port, maybe?
also guys there is this SACD player i saw at a pawn shop for $45, do you guys think I should get it, I already have the PS3 so I dont really need it, but i've seen it go for $125 on the net, i think i could get them to go down to $40, what do you guys think? The model is scd-ce595.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: DSD optical in receiver? Reply with quote

usernameuser wrote:
also there is this SACD player i saw at a pawn shop for $45, do you guys think I should get it, I already have the PS3 so I dont really need it

Well, there are various reasons why you may want it:

1) You may not have a receiver that can multichannel output from your PS3 and are not ready to spend that money yet you want to enjoy multichannel SACD. (This one is not so valid anymore since the DTS conversion feature is added.)

2) You want to enjoy SACD while playing PS3 games.

Anyway, it's a bargain so I'd probably go out and get it.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not clear if Sony has publicly documented the feature yet but there's some (Japanese) coverage here today:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20071113/sce.htm
lutefisk69

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, there is still no DSD output via optical or HDMI? It would be great if it did.
md47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i am not mistaken, dsd output via hdmi is part of the hdmi 1.1 spec (please correct me if i am wrong)

so you would need a receiver that accepts hdmi AND can conver the dsd to analog. i am pretty sure some of these receivers are in the works, if not already on the market, but i dont have any links (sorry)...
dvda-sacd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

md47 wrote:
if i am not mistaken, dsd output via hdmi is part of the hdmi 1.1 spec (please correct me if i am wrong)
Well, it's part of the HDMI 1.2 spec:

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#q3_2

md47 wrote:
so you would need a receiver that accepts hdmi AND can conver the dsd to analog. i am pretty sure some of these receivers are in the works, if not already on the market, but i dont have any links (sorry)...
You can find the information on this site:

http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html#_Toc177216798

BR,

Leo Smile
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AV Watch has some news about firmware v2.01 today:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20071120/sce.htm

I can't make much of the Japanese, even with Babelfish and Google Translate. Does it say something about multichannel digital optical output from SACD becoming impossible? (That seems to be what Babelfish makes of it.)

That would be terrible news.
Justin42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to hooking my 60GB PS3 (fw 2.01) via optical to my older Kenwood VR-6070 amp, which does support DTS, and I can only get PCM 2 channel output over optical on SACD.

I've tested some DTS DVDs and they work fine.

Unfortunately, I hadn't realised that DTS was available in 2.0 until after I did the 2.01 update (Which I did without thinking after all the problems reported in 2.0). I can't get DTS output on multichannel SACD no matter what settings I tweak.

Wish I would've held out a few hours at least to check! I've been going nuts trying to get DTS SACD multichannel output. :/ It definitely seems like something is up with 2.01.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: