PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement rate of DVD by BD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Replacement rate of DVD by BD Reply with quote

Thomas Casey, CFO of Blockbuster said at a recent investor conference in New York that he doesn’t think Blu-ray’s replacement of DVD is “going to be nearly like DVD replacing VHS”.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/24/blockbuster_bluray/

Well, of course. The rate at which SACD is replacing CD isn't nearly like the rate CD replaced LPs...
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Blu-ray has already completely blown by SACD, at 8-10% of sales to DVD's90 or so.

Unfortunately.

But yeah, even I tell most friends blu-ray is not worth their time unless they are getting a larger HDTV (52"+) and or a much nicer surround system.
FunkyMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
I think Blu-ray has already completely blown by SACD, at 8-10% of sales to DVD's90 or so.

Unfortunately.

But yeah, even I tell most friends blu-ray is not worth their time unless they are getting a larger HDTV (52"+) and or a much nicer surround system.

This is ignorant in the extreme.
For a start, it's not the screen size but the resolution that matters. (We can assume people have got a higher resolution screen even if less than 52in cos they feel that it benefits them.)
Also, it's not just the pixel resolution that is a benefit with Blu Ray, but the colour resolution and gradation and depth that it brings.
Then of course the mastering and data-rates will be much higher with blu ray compared to dvd.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuff your ignorant comment. Resolution is meaningless without the context of seating distance and screen size.

I have a 56" HDTV and a 120" screen and a 1080p projector.

I buy and install D cinema and other projectors, plasmas and LCDs of all different sizes and resolutions in my job and we generate our own custom media for some of these that exceeds the color depth of blu-ray (full 4:4:4).

I am well acquainted with the advantages of blu-ray, it's why I have 50 some odd discs.

What I don't do is tell friends with a 42" 1080 LCD who sit 12' away from it and already have a decent upscaling DVD player and speakers the size of soda cans that they should go blow $400 on a new deck and start paying an extra $5 or more per movie because the difference will be OMG!!1!! so worth it.

I show them what DVD looks like on my setups, then a blu-ray. Most of them agree. The ones who think the difference is worth it are the ones who start plotting how to buy a bigger display and beef up their sound rig. All of them also tend to listen to my advice because I don't push them to blow money I don't think they'll appreciate the benefit from.

I don't know your friends, but all of mine who have bought midsized panels lately (37-50") didn't buy 1080p because it "benefitted them" but rather as it was pretty much what everyone was offering. Additionally, most of them are 40ish with the razor sharp eagle vision that goes with that.

Any way, try being a little more polite next time. This is virtually the last forum I even bother to post on because getting flamed by people who don't even know a thing about me gets old really fast. Since there are only a dozen or two of us who post here at all regularly, I was hoping name calling would be relatively absent.

BB
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thank gawd it has, until now.

We didn't bother to put anything in the forum rules about flame wars, and hope it will not be necessary.
FunkyMonkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Brandon B, I never actually personalised my comment by callign you something. I merely pointed out my opinion that your comment was ignorant, i.e. this one:

I tell most friends blu-ray is not worth their time unless they are getting a larger HDTV (52"+) and or a much nicer surround system.

I stand by that. You were basically implying that sub-52in displays have no benefit from Blu Ray. Someone reading that who was yet to make their mind up would be given the wrong advice. I'm glad to see that you elabroated fully on your actual advice, which makes far more sense, and in aprticular that people can make their own mind up and that people have different views.

Neither did you point out that any of the statements I made were irrelevant which I am also glad about because they spell out the real advantages of Blu Ray over even upscaled DVD pictures, even with sub-52inch displays, even at viewing distances over 12feet. Cool

Furthermore, with Blu Ray players up for grabs in the UK from £130 upwards, I would ALWAYS tell my mates that it worth investing that much in a blu ray player rather than half that in a mere upscaling player.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interesting question of course is: Do you recommend SACD to your friends and, if so, with what arguments?

I used to do SACD demos in professional set-ups, usually the office demo room, but I've recently discovered it's much more fun (and much more convincing too) to take an SACD player to someone's home and demonstrate it on their own equipment they're familiar with.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FunkyMonkey wrote:
Shocked Brandon B, I never actually personalised my comment by callign you something. I merely pointed out my opinion that your comment was ignorant

Funny, I felt like I had been called ignorant. But either way, whether you meant me or merely my comment, it is challenging and insulting language. Since in my mind, I did not imply there was no benefit to BD, only not sufficient for my friends, and nowhere did I say it was not worthwhile for anyone else, you might have asked what I meant first. I'd have no problem with your response without the first line.

Regardless, the benefits have to be worth the cost, and to the people I usually field these questions for, they are not. Now I do have one friend who I got so spring for all the bells and whistles (his wife is a movie producer), and he is completely jazzed. Projector, screen, ps3, prepro, 7 channel amp, twin subs. He won't even buy DVDs anymore.

On recommending SACD, I can't even get these people away from MP3s for christ sake. My one other neighbor who is even up for upgrading to blu-ray looked at my second music-only system incredulously and said "you actually have time to sit down and listen to music?"

Sad.
FunkyMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
FunkyMonkey wrote:
Shocked Brandon B, I never actually personalised my comment by callign you something. I merely pointed out my opinion that your comment was ignorant

Funny, I felt like I had been called ignorant. But either way, whether you meant me or merely my comment, it is challenging and insulting language. Since in my mind, I did not imply there was no benefit to BD, only not sufficient for my friends, and nowhere did I say it was not worthwhile for anyone else, you might have asked what I meant first. I'd have no problem with your response without the first line.

Regardless, the benefits have to be worth the cost, and to the people I usually field these questions for, they are not. Now I do have one friend who I got so spring for all the bells and whistles (his wife is a movie producer), and he is completely jazzed. Projector, screen, ps3, prepro, 7 channel amp, twin subs. He won't even buy DVDs anymore.

On recommending SACD, I can't even get these people away from MP3s for christ sake. My one other neighbor who is even up for upgrading to blu-ray looked at my second music-only system incredulously and said "you actually have time to sit down and listen to music?"

Sad.

Would a belated yet sincere apology mean anything? For I really di not mean to be persoannly offensive, but I admit I was caught up in the emotion that people settle for less than they might for the sake of savign a couple of hundred dollars, and in the process stop new technology really taking off, e.g. SACD!

Anyway, that's by the by. I know you are a valuable contributor, so sorry.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much. One of the things I hate about internet posting (and email) is the complete lack of a means to discern tone from typed words.

Believe me, I wish the stuff would take off as well. I've put enough time and money into my equipment that it's a major bummer to not have more high quality stuff to run through it.

The sad truth is, though, a lot of people just don't notice the difference unless it is put right in front of them, and even then it doesn't get most of them motivated. About the only person I have been able to sell on SACD is my brother-in-law, and he's one of the lives and breathes music types with a multi-thousand CD collection, and even so, to get him going required me building him a pair of decent speakers.

What part of England are you in? My wife is american, but lived 7 years of her childhood in Oxshott (spelling?).
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
About the only person I have been able to sell on SACD is my brother-in-law, and he's one of the lives and breathes music types with a multi-thousand CD collection, and even so, to get him going required me building him a pair of decent speakers.

I recognize this exactly. The only acquaintance I've managed to 'sell' SACD to is a friend who's been audiophile enough to build his own speakers.

Incidentally, my brother-in-law is a professional musician (classical guitar) with a very sophisticated hearing yet he's never really taken an interest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Movies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: