PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVD/Blu-Ray/SACD going the way of the horse and buggy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krzysop1

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: DVD/Blu-Ray/SACD going the way of the horse and buggy Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/01/AR2008050103452.html

http://www.dbtechno.com/gaming/2008/04/22/sony-to-launch-ps3-movie-download-service-this-summer/

That's right folks, get ready. Just like the MP3 devastated the CD, the Movie download industry and VOD services are about to go into high gear. Look for the PS3 to offer a high end HD service, perhaps as joint venture with Netflix as early as July. The most recent update of the online store is a premonition to what is coming down the pike. Also it is doubtful that unless bandwidth capabilities on the internet quintuple in the near future you are NOT going to be downloading 50GB files to your hard disk to watch a 1080P movie with DTS Master Audio and then store them there. 720P with Core DTS and Dolby 5.1 will be the standards for HD film downloads.

Watch and learn. Smile

Last edited by krzysop1 on Fri May 02, 2008 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
krzysop1

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/15/apple-tv-take-2-brings-hd-movie-rentals-to-the-living-room/

720P/Dolby 5.1 :0

Why? Why? Because there is a huge equipment gap between what the average end user (where the real money is) and where the audio-videophile is in relation to hardware and even knowing how to use it properly. Joe-six pack does not know the difference between 720P/1080i or Dolby HD, DTS etc. He just gives his credit card number and expects his "Rocky Balboa" movie to look and sound fairly decent. That's it gang.

Sorry to inform all of you that recently went out to buy new A/V receivers for DTS Master Audio but Master HD audio will go the way of the SACD (into a tiny, disappearing niche market) unless TCP/IP bandwidth standards can quintuple and audio-video receivers and VOD boxes can simplify the whole process for Joe. Otherwise the standard HD download WILL be 720P/ Dolby 5.1-DTS Surround.

BTW: As downloading audio MP3's wipes out CD sales altogether the SACD will be a wonderful memory from the past. Look for some form of lossless download format to get popularized by iTunes. WMA lossless will also go away because most music today is purchased via iTunes. Follow the money trail.

Dee, dee, dee, dee, dee, Dats all folks

Last edited by krzysop1 on Fri May 02, 2008 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
krzysop1

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.anders.com/cms/254/Apple.TV/HD.Movie.Rentals

"720P for a long time to come." = 7-10 years.

So glad I saved a $1000 and bought a Samsung HD Ready 720P/1080i TV instead of a 1080p set and run audio through a $175 Yamaha RX-V361. Nothing else will be needed for a LONG time to come.

Also, REGION standards are going out the window as VOD services gain speed. Smile
krzysop1

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Look for some form of lossless download format to get popularized by iTunes. "

HINT: The Macbook and the Macbook Pro have started to incorporate optical audio input/output ports.
FunkyMonkey

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen here folks, DVD files are at least 4GB in size and that is 576p picture in dolby digital. So we are looking at least this size, even in compressed format, for 720p downloads with DTS core.

There is NO WAY in the next 5years that download speeds, because of severe lack of bandwidth and the nature of the telephone infrastrcuture in the UK, will we be able to download movies in sufficient numbers to replace Blu Ray as a viable way of obtaining movies. It's actually quicker and less hassle to nip down to the local Blockbuster and get a Blu Ray 1080p lossless disk. Actually , that's not true because the range is too small. Hopefully it will get bigger soon, or I will be less sure of the potential successs of Blu Ray for us high-end.
krzysop1

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup,

You are looking at about 10-12GB for a two hour movie at 720P/DTS-Core.

Remember double sided Blu-Ray holds 50GB- 9 hours of HD movie.

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_capacity_data

DEATH OF THE BLU-RAY

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/05/01/apples-new-deal-with-hollywood-death-of-the-dvd/?section=money_topstories
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krzysop1 wrote:
DEATH OF THE BLU-RAY

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/05/01/apples-new-deal-with-hollywood-death-of-the-dvd/?section=money_topstories

Sorry, the article is called "Death of the DVD". It doesn't even mention Blu-ray Disc.

Last edited by The Seventh Taylor on Fri May 02, 2008 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
krzysop1

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Actually , that's not true because the range is too small."

And why have the producers been slow in mass producing Blu-Rays (and until recently HD-DVDs)? Because they are negotiating deals in the background for internet distribution which will cost them less.

720P/DTS-Core- Dolby 5.1 or SD/Dolby 2.0

DATS ALL FOLKS Cool

Last edited by krzysop1 on Fri May 02, 2008 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
krzysop1

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It also means that if Blockbuster — or Netflix, for that matter — doesn’t figure out electronic delivery, it is toast. And it means that Sony and Toshiba just incinerated a pile of money in a useless DVD format war. (link)"

They are using the term DVD generically of course they are also referring to the Blu-Ray.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krzysop1 wrote:
And why have the producers been slow in mass producing Blu-Rays (and until recently HD-DVDs)? Because they are negotiating deals in the background for internet distribution which will cost them less.

Or simply because DVD is where the mass market currently still is. Anyway, it's not the cost that matters, it's the profit margin (which is generally higher on more expensive products).
FunkyMonkey

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Is anyone listening? Nearly all ISP's in the UK either restrict the amount of data that can be downloaded into homes OR have a fair-use policy, i.e. they deter people from downloading for a continuous amount of time, e.g. torrent sites, extended downloading as would be needed for downloading movies.

Now if I coudl download a high-quality movie I would. But I would only do so at 1080p and lossless audio. Not going to be physically viable for AGES.

Most people would accept DVD quality downloads. Even that is nto viable at the moment, on a scale to threaten disks. But if we are talkign high-def, Blu Ray is the future for a few years at least.
D-Mode 5.1

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: DVD/Blu-Ray/SACD going the way of the horse and buggy Reply with quote

krzysop1 wrote:
DVD/Blu-Ray/SACD going the way of the horse and buggy

So will the book when it's superseded by the e-Book, and the good old automobile when we're all going around in the flying cars we've been promised for decades.

Until that time I'll be fine with my paper books, my car on 4 wheels and my content on optical discs.
krzysop1

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great and I will be listening to my Hi-Fi LP's and 8-tracks in stereo.
ken_wilsonii

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Yeah right ..throw it all out.. Reply with quote

and then I will routinely manage my entire collection of high-end audio, movies, regular cd's and the like all in MP3 fromat on my IPOD for which I know I can spend every waking minute keeping it up to date..who needs a job, stop to eat food..why bother, talk to people?!! ..no time left I have to finish sorting through what I do and don't have to download the latest great movie and make room on my device.

Crap, accidently deleted my Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed SACD
file. No problem, I will just re-download it..NOT available for download anymore (or you have reached your maximum number of downloads for this file, end up on the phone for 3 hours waiting for them to confirm your identity)

This is a truly a dumb argument. I have vinyl albums that are not available on cd or any other format..now what..can't download it that's for sure. So I keep them and I still have a record player so I can listen to those things people don't deem popular enough to put out there for us to buy or download.

DVD, the Blu-Ray (since it won the format war), cd and yes SACD will be around for quite a while.
ken_wilsonii

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: DVD/Blu-Ray/SACD going the way of the horse and buggy Reply with quote

and one other thing..

Don't the Amish still use a horse and a buggy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: