PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neil Young's long-promised Archive coming out on BD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Neil Young's long-promised Archive coming out on BD Reply with quote

The Wall Street Journal has an article this week, with some (arguably justified) skeptical remarks referring to the track record of SACD and other high-res formats.

Quote:
The track record for physical music formats that purport to improve on CDs has been mixed at best, even as digital downloading has taken off. An alphabet soup of would-be successors have come and mostly gone without making a commercial dent. It's unclear whether a Blu-ray music disc can gain traction where SACD, HDCD, CDVU-Plus, DualDisc and DVD-A have not.

"Forever Young -- Neil Young's long-promised archive is actually in the works and coming out on Blu-ray"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121089705097497191.html?
Yuri

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently it's going to be a lot more than a collection of audio recordings and will include lots of video footage.

There's a preview by Young himself here:

http://news.zdnet.com/2422-13568_22-200356.html
dannyjl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exciting news for the format and hope many other artists will follow with similar ambitions. As far as Neil Young though, I have absolutely no interest in him what so ever.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed! I can think of a few other artists whose collected works I'd like to see issued on Blu-ray Disc.
Yuri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More coverage here:

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/07/neil-young-hi-r.html

Neil Young: Hi-Res Music is 'The Future.' What's the Freakin' Holdup?

Rock legend Neil Young has advice for PC manufacturers and summary other parties getting trounced in the music market: Get off the MP3 standard and go hi-res. It's a sure-fire way to differentiate yourself from what Young considers to be the currently sad state of sonic integrity.

"I think there's a huge opening for PCs here to establish themselves as the quality instrument over the convenience instrument," he explains in a video posted Wednesday on CNN Money. "I think hi-res music should come right into the earphones."

Like other professionals and fans, Young doesn't see why listeners should have to settle for crappy sound to support an industry that has plenty of tools and technologies, but no vision. "In the 21st century," he adds, "with these beautiful computers and incredible capabilities, hi-res music is one of the missing elements. [But] I think that's the future of music."

According to his chat with Time editor-in-chief John Huey, Young plans to release an exhaustive multimedia archive of his work on Blu-Ray later this fall. Just in time "for the Christmas season," the spider fan's spider-man admits. "I have a lot of content because I'm a pack rat, so I have everything I've ever done, and everything associated with it."

Whatever Young's DVD tome ends up looking like, one thing is for sure: It's going to sound awesome

Makes you wonder why he has always ignored SACD, though that's probably because he's allied with Warner. Still, he could have released far more DVD-Audio albums than the seven he did.
ken_wilsonii

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: I like Neil Young..but Reply with quote

I have next to no dvd music videos (Weird Al I do have, that makes sense though).

Putting it on Blu-ray does not make me want to buy it as I actually listen to my music. So I need, Home, car, computer at work.

Hybrid SACD I can at least do that.
Blu-ray? How long will it take for Blu-ray to be affordable for Home, Car, computer at work. Going to need new equipment everywhere.

It would make sense if Blu-Ray offered the possibility of better sound than SACD, but it does not.

Sooo..why buy music on blu-ray?
DVD-A was pretty bad and definitely did not offer anything better than a standard cd.

Can't see myself plunking down money for this at all.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, unless record companies follow the example of Norwegian label 2L who have released a Blu-ray Disc/Hybrid SACD combi package.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: