PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2.40 supports DTS 96/24?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: 2.40 supports DTS 96/24? Reply with quote

I just read on the front page that The PS3 now supports DTS 96/24.
Should'nt that mean it now supports 96kHz output? Yet its not an option under the sound settings.
Why did they skip 96KHz anyway?
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why they skipped this so far is anyone's guess. DTS 96/24 does not indicate any real processing scheme like DTS Neo-6, it's just an optional audio format for DVD-Video discs. Probably it's not a matter of sending the bits to the output transparently but it involves some decompression scheme which had to be implemented.

That's also why you don't need a 96 kHz menu setting in the PS3: it's a matter of selecting the right audio track on the DVD.
FunkyMonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are both saying, but just to be clear, 96kHz output IS an option in the PS3 menus when outputting via HDMI. Both as surround sound and stereo.
raveer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,

well 24/96 DTS was already supported when bitstreaming. With 2.40 they added internal decoding to LPCM. If you select 96kHz output beforehand in sound setup then you actually output 24 bit 96kHz LPCM internaly decoded from DTS. I verifyed this with Bjork Surrounded boxset and Yamaha RX-V863. Also DTS ES works with Blu-ray, I tested with T2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: