PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Genesis 1970-75 the final SACD rock release?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannyjl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Genesis 1970-75 the final SACD rock release? Reply with quote

After much anticipation it looks like this will be out Sept. 30 - it's listed at many world-wide dealers now. As the SACD rock world has been very quiet the past year, I wonder if this will be one of the final rock releases on the format?
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a dream the oft-discussed Beatles remasters will come out on SACD hybrid..

It will probably suffer the fate of most dreams.
michilumin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they won't be the final rock releases.

Black Sabbath "Paranoid" is scheduled for on or around Oct. 24.

The Pixies "Bossanova" in late September.

Foghat "Fool For The City" in late September.

Talk of Floyd "Wish You Were Here" is still not dead, but admittedly its status -is- a mystery.

Agreed that there may not be many going forward, but as long as companies like MoFi are active, i doubt that number will be zero.
michilumin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
I have a dream the oft-discussed Beatles remasters will come out on SACD hybrid..

It will probably suffer the fate of most dreams.

The Beatles are tricky on -any- format because of catalogue ownership.

Just as unlikely would be a remaster Beatles release on plain-old CD, unfortunately.
dannyjl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's lots of confusion now about this set. I checked 2 weeks ago and the release date was late September. Now it's Nov. 11 according to the Genesis web site. Also, the prices have been pumped way high. Amazon.jp had it for about Y15,000 two weeks ago and now it is ¥25,000. Most shops in England have it at 94 pounds. Amazon.com in the U.S. looks like they're selling just a standard cd version.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyjl wrote:
Amazon.com in the U.S. looks like they're selling just a standard cd version.

That's what I would expect anyway. The same happened with the Depeche Mode remasters. That doesn't mean there will not be NTSC-DVD/SACD versions but they'll have to come from a different NTSC territory.

Apparently it's too unattractive for record companies to release (hybrid multichannel) SACDs in the US. Possibly this has something to do with the royalty collecting organisations insisting on paying triple fees because the content is present in multiple forms.
dannyjl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: out now Reply with quote

Top of the news has this as out now - well actually the pre-order page is up. It won't be available until Oct. 21 but the good news from Amazon is plentiful. First, it is the hybrid sacd/cd and dvd disks set and not just the remastered cd's as earlier listed on Amazon. Second, the price has dropped about $40 which is great. Can't wait to get this.

Sadly, I don't know of any new SACD titles in line for future release. I've been buying up used ones from Amazon and got a few from yourmusic.com. Gotta believe that blu-ray music will be the future some day of high def audio.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The record companies haven't exactly opened the floodgates but the Genesis remasters definitely aren't the last pop/rock SACDs to be released. See today's news:

http://www.ps3sacd.com/index.html#_20081006
Brandon B

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh, I'm in for the ELP disc.

BB
DVD-Audiophile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with the other Genesis (and Depeche Mode) remasters, the US gets a version without SACD, i.e. a CD/DVD box set with 5.1 mixes in Dolby Digital and DTS. See here. They're substantially cheaper though.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. For a complete overview of them we've made a special Genesis Remasters page.
dannyjl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: slight delay Reply with quote

Well, it looks like this set won't be out until Nov. 10 worldwide. I had it pre-ordered at Amazon.com with a ship date of Oct. 21. I checked it yesterday and the new ship date appeared. I think I'll now get it from HMV in Japan as the shipping will be faster.
dannyjl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: WARNING!!!! Reply with quote

I have this on pre-order at Amazon and checked the status yesterday. The product description is listed as the SACD set but when I click on the link it shows up as the regular cd version. The price is also some $45 cheaper than the SACD version. Another link to the SACD version (doing a search) states that this has been discontinued by the manufacturer. I'm waiting for an explanation from the staff on this but will likely cancel the order.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you follow a link from this site? There are links on the home page, the overall music page and above all a dedicated Genesis Remasters page. The latter gives you a complete overview.

Just in case, here's a proper link:

Genesis 1970-1975 [BOX SET] [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED] [HYBRID SACD]
dannyjl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link:
Genesis 1970-1975 [BOX SET] [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED] [HYBRID SACD]
also has a message saying it has been discontinued by the manufacturer. So be careful if you order from Amazon and double check your order if you have it on preorder. I did a search yesterday and the best price I found was at a shop called Townsend Records in the U.K. I'll likely order from them as even with the shipping to Japan it's about $40 cheaper than HMV - Japan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: