PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Racer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Speed Racer Reply with quote

Well, if you ever want to show off the color capabilities of your display, this will do it. Insane neon candy colored world throughout.

Enjoyed this movie just as much as the first time in the theater. If you are a fan of the cartoon, it s really enjoyable. The racing action is great, and t has a very cartoon vibe throughout. In other words, this is not a "mature" take on the cartoon, it IS the cartoon, with a much bigger budget and name actors. If that doesn't appeal to you, you likely will not like it, as it seems about half the people out there do not.

I would question it as a clear cut PG though, as there are a couple of parts some littler kids (4-8 crowd) might have trouble with. I might have given it a PG-13.

The Blu-ray itself is pretty nice. The picture is near flawless, in spite of it being on a single layer disc. A lot of people have been skipping the purchase because it has basic DVD standard 5.1 DD, not even higher bit rate. While I can see it as a valid complaint, it certainly isn't something I'd skip buying the movie over. The way some are ranting about it, you'd think these were people who never enjoyed a regular DVD or had any kind of praise for an audio track before hi-def discs were out.

My one complaint, is the digital copy that came with the movie specifically lists mac compatibility on the sticker on the slip case, but in fact, this disc and most other Warner titles only work where playback of DRMed WMV files is possible. Which is nowhere on any Apple device or program. SO basically they lied outright on the outside of the package. Which means as soon as I find a friend who bought the standard DVD I will be ripping copy for my kid to use on trips, since I've paid Warner for the privilege already.

Anyway, if you are a fan of the old cartoon, definitely check it out.

BB
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out Warner's has gotten enough flak that they are offering an iTunes download of the movie if you bought the blu-ray.

BB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Movies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: