PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Doors Perception Box set audio question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannyjl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: The Doors Perception Box set audio question Reply with quote

I know this is a SACD site but with the feeble offerings of new stuff on this format I'm gonna branch out to the dvd-a world to add some more 5.1 sound to my collection. I use my PS3 and and a dvd-a capable Oppo 970 for these. I love the 40 or so SACD disks I have but there isn't much more that's out now that I want to by.

Anyway, Rhinno is re-releasing this Doors set again next week but the audio listing are confusing. The main listing at elusivedisk.com states it's a 12 cd/dvd-audio set. Here's the description of the dvd content :"the disc two DVDs feature the entire album and bonus material in 5.1 Surround Sound, new Advanced Resolution stereo and Dolby Digital DTS mixes." I'm not confident that any of these are actually dvd-audio format unless 5.1 surround sound is the term for it. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Also, is there a site that lists dvd-audio disks like the sacd site SA-CD.net? This site is all but dead as the latest news is from spring 2 years ago. Thanks.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of DVD-A discs often have multiple mixes like that, hi-rez multichannel PCM, hi rez stereo, and a DTS mix so that anyone can at least hear the lossy 5.1 mix from a standard DVD player (not DVD-A capable). That's exactly how the few DVD-As I have are made (Beatles' Love and LOTR super whizbang extended all-inclusive soundtracks).

So it sounds like the Doors discs are indeed DVD-A discs. Can't help you on the site suggestions. My "extensive" library has not given me much reason to research it.

I will say that the analog outputs on the oppo 970 are not very good (that is my only DVD-A playback device as well). Nothing to compare to the PS3's SACD capability anyway.

BB
Jens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Doors Perception Box set audio question Reply with quote

dannyjl wrote:
is there a site that lists dvd-audio disks like the sacd site SA-CD.net? This site is all but dead as the latest news is from spring 2 years ago.

There is DVD-A.net. If you follow Music Store > Pop/Rock > Doors you'll find three different versions of the Doors of Perception box. The differences are not immediately clear to me but if you click on them there's a more elaborate description.
dannyjl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links guys. I still can't tell if the new Doors set if true dvd-audio or not. The 2 more expensive ones are out of print. The new one is half the price and Ama has it for 8 bucks less than elusivedisk - so thanks for pointing the site out.
Yeah, the Oppo isn't the greatest audio player - I find it on the thin side compared to my PS3. I may have some of the numerous sound settings messed up but I think I've got it set right. I'm seriously thinking of getting the 980 as so many people have raved about the sound quality. Their future blu player will probably be too much cash for now.

I'm surprised at how few rock dvd-a titles are out there - thought it would be more than sacd but no.
Jens

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyjl wrote:
I'm surprised at how few rock dvd-a titles are out there - thought it would be more than sacd but no.

In relative numbers yes but in absolute numbers no: DVD-A has few pop/rock and even fewer classical titles. SACD has about equally few pop/rock titles and a vast (and ever growing) number of classical ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: