PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SACD-compatible PS3s are pricey

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: SACD-compatible PS3s are pricey Reply with quote

That, at least, is my take on this.

Wired (and Kotaku) reports that "Backwards compatible PS3s are pricey", noting that the 60 and 20GB models in Japan command relatively high second-hand prices.

With the obvious game focus of the author, the article concludes it's PS2 compatibility that justifies the higher prices but this being Japan (where SACD has caught on a lot better than in the US) I wouldn't be surprised of SACD compatibility actually plays a significant role.

Until we're going to see a PS3 with PS2 compatibility without SACD playback or the other way round there's no way we will know.
mister_playboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The loss of PS2 support is still very foolish, I think. Many people who got an early model PS3 might have traded in their PS2 to save a bit of cash... now that's not an option.

I suppose they figure the broader library of titles now available will allow the PS3 to go without support from the old and expansive PS2 library... fair enough

On the other hand, the degradation in the features of the current models is what has prevented either of my brothers from buying one.

I'm rarely an early adopter for consoles or anything else, but in this case I was and I got more features, rather than fewer... exactly the opposite of the norm.

Nice to know my (NTSC) 60GB might appreciate a bit, like a fine work of art. Cool
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the positive side, the value of PS2 consoles now remains higher, protecting the interests of PS2 owners. If every PS3 console came with PS2 for free, their worth would plummet and anyone considering selling it off for some cash would get very little.
zoran94043

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mister_playboy wrote:
The loss of PS2 support is still very foolish, I think. Many people who got an early model PS3 might have traded in their PS2 to save a bit of cash... now that's not an option.

I suppose they figure the broader library of titles now available will allow the PS3 to go without support from the old and expansive PS2 library... fair enough

On the other hand, the degradation in the features of the current models is what has prevented either of my brothers from buying one.

I'm rarely an early adopter for consoles or anything else, but in this case I was and I got more features, rather than fewer... exactly the opposite of the norm.

Nice to know my (NTSC) 60GB might appreciate a bit, like a fine work of art. Cool

i am selling my pristine 60GB if any one is interested?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: