PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yet another 'high-quality audio' format? Meet Blu-spec CD
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

culabula wrote:
I received my BLU copy of Highway 61 Revisited. It is irrefutably good, if not SA-CD territory.

That's great to hear. Still, I believe that's more to do with the sound mastering and other process steps done right than with the frequency of the laser used for cutting the master disc.
culabula

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
culabula wrote:
I received my BLU copy of Highway 61 Revisited. It is irrefutably good, if not SA-CD territory.

That's great to hear. Still, I believe that's more to do with the sound mastering and other process steps done right than with the frequency of the laser used for cutting the master disc.

I have a rake more on the way, brother doing a big shop in Japan this very evening. I have always wanted Diamond Life on SA-CD, so while I continue to be amazed that it isn't, I'll content myself with the Blu-Spec.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

culabula wrote:
I have a rake more on the way, brother doing a big shop in Japan this very evening.

I recommend you send him to see the shop I described here.

Last time I was there (last summer) they had added a large section for SHM-CD. I assume they're pushing Blu-spec CDs now.

BTW, I share your amazement about Sony Music never issuing Sade on SACD.
culabula

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received <<Diamond Life>> and am very impressed -some of the detail on "Frankie's First Affair" for example is reminiscent of my first pressing vinyl on a Linn Sondek.

By Sunday, I should have Blonde on Blonde, London Calling, Thriller and Blood on the Tracks.......

WHOOSH.......*killer* bass now on "When am I going to make a Living?"
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should receive Miles Davis' Agharta and Pangaea CDs in a week. I just have to hear for myself.

I'm glad to hear that there have been positive opinions on this forum. Because many people are heavily criticizing Blu-Spec, saying that there is very little difference if any at all for the above adverage price tag of a Blu-Spec CD.

I'm also glad that the CD format isn't dead yet, as many people insist that it is. I dread the day! Unless something truely more advanced comes along.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear the sound quality is so good. I've read positive reviews elsewhere too.

Still, I believe the good quality is mainly thanks to audio mastering done well and has very little to do with the substrate material: the same could be achieved with a regular RBCD, if only they'd pay enough attention to detail.
Shai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TJ-Max"]All my questions are based on Sony's claim that Blu Spec CDs are of Ultra High Quality.
[quote] The Blue Spec format takes Blu-ray disc technology to create CD's which are compatible with normal CD players but provides ultra high quality sound.[/quote]

But if the technology is confined to the limitations of red book audio, then how is it possible? "Ultra High Quality" compared to what exactly?[/quote][quote]Is the quality up there (i.e., 96/24) and are these Blu-Spec CD's going to have multi-channel mixes? And I've been out of the loop for a year or so; what is an RBCD?[/quote]
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shai wrote:

Is the quality up there (i.e., 96/24) and are these Blu-Spec CD's going to have multi-channel mixes? And I've been out of the loop for a year or so; what is an RBCD?

The theory is a more precise and accurate method of writing audio data to the disc (using Blu-ray authoring techniques) will results in improved harmonics and less distortion from read/write errors. The resulting sound though still 44.1/16 redbook will be cleaner, clearer and closer to the sound of the original audio master tapes.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shai wrote:
And I've been out of the loop for a year or so; what is an RBCD?

RBCD = Red Book CD i.e. the plain old compact disc introduced in 1982.

BTW the article can now be found at http://www.ps3sacd.com/news.html#_20081105
mister_playboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shai wrote:
But if the technology is confined to the limitations of red book audio, then how is it possible? "Ultra High Quality" compared to what exactly?

It really more of a marketing exercise than anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: