PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SACD file structure
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anatolio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: SACD file structure Reply with quote

Hi, guys - Is there any chance to show a SACD file structure using PS3? Please advise..
Jens

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I think it may be possible, on SACD-compatible PS3s, under Linux. I really should get started and install Linux on my console but I haven't got around to it yet. It could be, of course, that access to SACD discs is blocked from Linux but that should be easy to find out. Strange as it may sound, I think it's more likely to have access to the file structure on a DVD-Audio disc on PS3 under Linux.

Anyway, I expect the file structure to look a lot like that on a DSD Disc (see the PDF document referenced here). For the DSD layer, that is. You'll see two entirely separate structures for the CD layer and the high-density layer, not accessible simultaneously, if at all.
Anatolio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jens wrote:
Good question. I think it may be possible, on SACD-compatible PS3s, under Linux. I really should get started and install Linux on my console but I haven't got around to it yet. It could be, of course, that access to SACD discs is blocked from Linux but that should be easy to find out. Strange as it may sound, I think it's more likely to have access to the file structure on a DVD-Audio disc on PS3 under Linux.

Anyway, I expect the file structure to look a lot like that on a DSD Disc (see the PDF document referenced here). For the DSD layer, that is. You'll see two entirely separate structures for the CD layer and the high-density layer, not accessible simultaneously, if at all.

For "pure experiment" I would recommend to use non-hybrid Stereo/Multi-ch SACD's (e.g. Celine Dion - A New Day Has Come, Beck - Sea Change)
Anatolio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you
- own a SACD-compatible PS3
- have Linux installed on your PS3
- own SACD (s),

please confirm or reject possibility of reading file information on a SACD.

Your help is muchly appreciated Wink
Anatolio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an impression that nobody in this forum has Linux installed on a SACD-compatible PS3. Sad..
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably looking at a very small overlap in population there.

More to the point, those here are pretty sure some of the SACD processing is done in software, and therefore cannot occur under Linux.

Beyond that, Sony is very unlikely to have allowed access to the SACD read hardware under anything but heir own OS, as they are pretty narrow minded on DRM issues, and SACD has remained uncracked so far.

You are more likely to get confirmation somewhere where linux-on-PS3 people are posting, since some of them will have SACD compatible PS3s.
Jens

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
You are probably looking at a very small overlap in population there.

True, with an already small population here.

Quote:
More to the point, those here are pretty sure some of the SACD processing is done in software, and therefore cannot occur under Linux.

Sure, I think nobody debates here that most of the SACD processing done is done in software but I don't see how that precludes the possibility to do so under Linux, or at least to see the file structure. It should be primarily a matter of making sure the right software is in place.[/quote]

Quote:
Beyond that, Sony is very unlikely to have allowed access to the SACD read hardware under anything but heir own OS, as they are pretty narrow minded on DRM issues, and SACD has remained uncracked so far.

That's right. They'll err on the side of caution. Question is what drive access is available under Linux. I don't have it running yet but plan to look into it with a more experienced friend. Hopefully during Christmas holiday or so.

Quote:
You are more likely to get confirmation somewhere where linux-on-PS3 people are posting, since some of them will have SACD compatible PS3s.

Agreed. You'll only find less SACD knowledge there but just refer those people here! Together we'll find out what can be done.
Anatolio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, guys.

Maybe I'm naive, but I count on making of SACD-like DVD-Rs that will be playable on PS3 (SACD-compatible ones).
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anatolio wrote:
Maybe I'm naive, but I count on making of SACD-like DVD-Rs that will be playable on PS3 (SACD-compatible ones).

For that you don't need Linux. Just check out the DSD Disc Guide.
Anatolio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! But SACD-like to me means multichannel tracks too..
Jens

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anatolio wrote:
SACD-like to me means multichannel tracks too..

I share your view but am afraid this doesn't look very realistic in the short term. The DSD Disc spec lacks multichannel but even if you know the file structure of a (multichannel) SACD that does not mean you can create such a disc on a recordable DVD and expect PS3 (or any other player for that matter) to accept it as an SACD. You'll need to perform a lot more tricks which likely aren't feasible with consumer equipment.

If multichannel is the main thing you could play with MP3 Surround, which PS3 supports since a couple of months. If it's got to be high-resolution too you'd probably better switch to PCM (though admittedly there's no hack yet that will let PS3 play DVD-Audio discs).
Anatolio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance to have PS3 play AVCHDs with 5.1 hi-res uncompressed PCM? If it's real in principle, I would count on this option. Just imaging.. Crystal clear 96/24 multichannel sound on a cheap DVD-R media.
Jens

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea! Why hadn't I thought of that? AVCHD or AVCREC should do.

By the way, the fact that PS3 can handle AVCHD is yet another indication that doing DVD-Audio should be a piece of cake for the console.

What do you plan to use as source? Just out of curiosity.
Anatolio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVD-A rips, SACD records via analog, CD-DA 5.1upmix&upsample

By the way, is TrueHD and MLP 100% compatible for 5.1 conversion scheme?
Jens

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anatolio wrote:
is TrueHD and MLP 100% compatible for 5.1 conversion scheme?

I doubt it. I know TrueHD is basically an enhanced version of MLP but I don't have the details (and Dolby is naturally secretive about them).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: