PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DTS planning 7.1 music releases on BD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: DTS planning 7.1 music releases on BD Reply with quote

It seems that after Surround Records now also DTS is planning releases of (audio-only) 7.1-channel music -- in DTS-HD Master Audio, of course -- on Blu-ray Disc, according to this article.

Quote:
Blu-ray music audio is fast becoming an exciting venue for many artists and music labels, Dixon asserts. Musicians want to do studio recordings for that holophonic experience, and are looking at options of including photos and computer graphics or music only for the BD itself. Dixon personally likes the idea of using a "Ken Burns" approach for vintage recordings, with pan and zoom effects used on still photography of the bands themselves. Artists are also interested in using the multichannel audio capabilities on DTS Blu-ray Discs, and several projects in the planning stages for 2009 and beyond. DTS is working with various labels in the U.S., Europe, and Asia, and they hope to promote BD music audio titles as a sort of spiritual successor to SACD and DVD-Audio.

I'm ready for more multichannel music to come.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be great for a couple of reasons.

The install base of blu-ray players is probably already far greater than SACD decks ever had, so market penetration or the media would probably be much quicker and deeper;

Even current model PS3s would be capable, so I would be able to have more hidef music if I end up with a PS3 in my second system, where my old SACD player resides.

Only concern I have is that there needs to be some form of accompanying portable version of the album ala digital copy on blu-rays. I do not want music that is only available to me from my BD playback device.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
The install base of blu-ray players is probably already far greater than SACD decks ever had, so market penetration or the media would probably be much quicker and deeper;

Not so sure about that. Already 13 million SACD-compatible players (dedicated SACD/CD player, DVD players and Home Theatre Systems) were sold by the time PlayStation3 was launched, and probably some 7 million more by now in the form of 1st and 2nd-generation PS3s. Obviously, a lot of the owners may not even be aware their player supports SACD (or what SACD is, for that matter) but similarly a lot of PS3 owners may be 'passive' BD users.

Quote:
Only concern I have is that there needs to be some form of accompanying portable version of the album ala digital copy on blu-rays. I do not want music that is only available to me from my BD playback device.

Agreed. A hybrid CD/BD disc would also be an elegant solution for audio-only discs Very Happy
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't seen a number on SACD decks, didn't know they actually sold that many. But, as you say, I doubt most owners were even aware of the capability or the format. Whereas with a blu-ray music format, it's just more of the media they already bought the player for.

On the hybrid thing, I'd bet against a hybrid disc or included CD, for the same reason w are seeing BD + digital copy instead of BD + DVD for movie releases. They assume most people will give away the DVD to a friend. So they give you a lower quality digital (computer use) copy instead. So I'd expect they'll include MP3 or AAC versions. Hopefully without DRM, which seems to be dying its rightful death in the music world finally.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
Hadn't seen a number on SACD decks, didn't know they actually sold that many. But, as you say, I doubt most owners were even aware of the capability or the format. Whereas with a blu-ray music format, it's just more of the media they already bought the player for.

Except for gamers who bought PS3 for playing videogames in the first place (and Sony'd better hope most buyers fall into this category because only they are likely to pay their hardware 'subsidy' back).

Quote:
On the hybrid thing, I'd bet against a hybrid disc or included CD, for the same reason w are seeing BD + digital copy instead of BD + DVD for movie releases. They assume most people will give away the DVD to a friend. So they give you a lower quality digital (computer use) copy instead. So I'd expect they'll include MP3 or AAC versions. Hopefully without DRM, which seems to be dying its rightful death in the music world finally.

I agree we're not likely to see many two-disc (BD/CD) SKUs -- after 2L's releases -- for risk of 'de-bundling', and also that a digital copy on a pure BD disc is more likely than a hybrid disc, if only for cost reasons (cost of disc replication). The fact that we've got digital copy on BD instead of a hybrid BD/DVD is a good indication, even though the latter would much better have been able to smoothen the path for DVD owners to upgrade to Blu-ray Disc.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
Except for gamers who bought PS3 for playing videogames in the first place (and Sony'd better hope most buyers fall into this category because only they are likely to pay their hardware 'subsidy' back).

It's interesting, I read articles on BD and they often make references to not being able to count all 6 million PS3 owners as blu-ray customers as "most are likely purchased by gamers", whereas in articles and discussions on game attach rates for the PS3/Wii/XBox 360, the reason cited for Sony's much lower rate is "most owners ought it for its 'low price' and BD playback ability".

Both can't be true, and I can't find any reasonably objective data to settle the matter. Everyone, and I mean everyone I know (personally, not online) bought it for both, with most of them (probably a dozen people) skewing towards the BD end. But middle aged males in my social group aren't necessarily representative of an overall trend.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my PS3 for its SACD playback capability Wink

Kidding aside, I'm sure there are relatively more people who bought PS3 for BD playback than people who bought PS2 for DVD playback but there's surely very little hard data. If Sony has it, they'll likely keep it close to their chest. The data can also hardly be very hard: I agree there are probably few who bought it strictly for games or BD only and a large are along a sliding scale of relative importance for either application.

As for representativeness of our age bracket, I have seen no demographic breakdowns of console ownership in the current cycle yet. Would be interesting to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: