PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Browsing on PS3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Browsing on PS3 Reply with quote

Reports (covered here and here) indicate that the 'PlayStation platform' is responsible for a mere 0.04% of total web traffic.

At PS3SACD.com we're not sure what we're seeing.

Is PlayStation 3 included under PlayStation Portable (whose actual percentage here is 0.01%) or under 'unknown' or 'others'?

Similarly, where is the NetFront browser included? Probably under Mozilla, as the browser erroneously identifies itself as "Mozilla/5.0 (PLAYSTATION 3; 1.00)" but that category must include more than just PS3. The 'full list' doesn't give it away either. It breaks down the versions of IE, Firefox and Netscape but not the other browsers.

Unfortunately, awstats currently doesn't report the details we'd like to see. That may still come, if a request to that end gets fulfilled. It's open source, after all.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your stats are probably skewed a little bit, as I have Camino on the Mac reporting as Safari because there are so many sites that ignore its existence and tell you to use Safari or Firefox or the site won't work (when it will, it is largely the same Mozilla code base as Firefox, just written natively for Mac).

And with the number of times I am on the site, I would expect I account for at least a fraction of a percent of your hits at least.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess you must be in the 13.2% of hits reported as Safari users then, based on what you explain.

This month Camino doesn't even show up in the list of browsers used (above table is last month's).
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about 2-4 hits daily minimum. And Camino is my default browser.
mister_playboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less than 50% for Internet Explorer? I'm impressed... perhaps people are finally finding out just how nice the alternatives are.

Of course, it's a pretty tech savvy group around here, too. Very Happy
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if we'll see any Chrome users? I'll see how it is when they release an OS X version later this year.

edit: actually, looking at the stats, I bet that's what the .2% unknown one is.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mister_playboy wrote:
Less than 50% for Internet Explorer? I'm impressed... perhaps people are finally finding out just how nice the alternatives are.

Of course, it's a pretty tech savvy group around here, too. Very Happy

If the trend continues at this rate within no time Firefox will have surpassed IE.

mister_playboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally use Firefox primarily, but I like to goof around with software a lot and I've actually got IE, Opera, Safari and Chrome all installed on my computer.

As for OS, I use Vista Ultimate right now, but I've come to feel more and more that free copyleft software is important, and I plan to move to dual booting with Ubuntu... I've already downloaded the ISO...

I'm still procrastinating on it. My first Linux experience was with YDL 5.1 on the PS3 back in '06, and that was nothing but a headache. The original install package was very broken and I just had a SDTV at the time so that caused further problems. I learned alot, but spent most of my time being frustrated, and gave up after a few weeks.

I'm sure this will be much easier than that early PS3 Linux attempt! Very Happy
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In February 2009, Firefox has for the first time overtaken MS Internet Explorer with 39.5% over 38.5% browser share (in visits to this site).
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snicker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: