PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PS3 Setting for SACD - PLEASE HELP!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zephro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: PS3 Setting for SACD - PLEASE HELP!!!! Reply with quote

Wondering if someone could help me out here.

When playing a 2 channel SACD, my PS3 is sending out a 5.1 signal via HDMI to my Denon 5308CI and the Denon plays a 5.1 stream, but only the 2 front channels are playing and the sound is bad. So, I went into the Audio Output Settings on the PS3 and deselected all of the Linear PCM 2 Ch. options (88.2 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 96 kHz, 192 kHz) with the exception of Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz & 48 kHz. I also went into the Audio CD Frequency setting and changed it from 48 kHz to 44.1/88.2/176.4 kHz. Now the PS3 is properly sending a 2 channel signal to the Denon and the output sounds good.

My questions are:
1. Is this the correct way to setup the PS3 for SACD 2 channel output?
2. I'm I losing fidelity by setting it up this way.

BTW, multichannel SACD is coming out 176.4 kHz and it sounds amazing, this is only a 2 channel question.

Thanks to those who respond Smile
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: PS3 Setting for SACD - PLEASE HELP!!!! Reply with quote

1. That's debatable -- your AV Receiver should be able to handle the 2-channel 176.4 kHz PCM signal just as well as the 5.1-channel one. See 2.
2. Yes, for sure. See 1 Smile

Can you be more specific about the 'bad' sound quality? Is there some form of distortion?
zephro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: PS3 Setting for SACD - PLEASE HELP!!!! Reply with quote

PS3SACD wrote:
1. That's debatable -- your AV Receiver should be able to handle the 2-channel 176.4 kHz PCM signal just as well as the 5.1-channel one. See 2.
2. Yes, for sure. See 1 Smile

Can you be more specific about the 'bad' sound quality? Is there some form of distortion?

It sounds muzzled. However, I think I figured out the work around. If I deselect 2-channel 176.4 kHz and leave everything else selected, the PS3 correctly sends out a 2 channel signal and it's being outputted by the Denon 88.2 kHz. Also, I switched the CD Frequency setting back to 48 kHz. 2 channel over HDMI sounds pretty good now.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the different noise shaping options in the PS3 menu for CD playback. I really like the type 3 setting, it makes CD sound really good in my system.

BB
zephro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
Try the different noise shaping options in the PS3 menu for CD playback. I really like the type 3 setting, it makes CD sound really good in my system.

BB

I agree, type 3 is a wonderful setting.
FunkyMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zephro wrote:
Brandon B wrote:

BB

I agree, type 3 is a wonderful setting.

Here's another fan of the bitmap type 3 setting.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should write that. I just saw your story on another forum of how you've always like PS3's SACD performance but found you prefer direct DSD-to-analog over DSD-to-PCM-to-analog. Which I can believe; it only made me wonder which bitmapping setting you used and I was about to ask that. So thanks for sharing that here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: