PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the PS3 a good sacd player?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I've got a question for those using the PS3 for multichannel SACD playback via HDMI.

Do you notice any audio drop-out, skipping, or truncation at the beginning of a SA-CD disc or track? I've purchased an Oppo 970HD and discovered that many if not all of their players have this issue when playing back a SA-CD. The first half second to five seconds is simply not output to the speakers.

Thanks!
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Launch day 60GB PS3 into an Onkyo Pro 885 - nary an issue. Plays all 30 or so of my SACDs without issue.

My Oppo 971 however, does exhibit similar behavior to what you have with DVD-A's. And my old Sony SCP-C555ES SACD player has the dreaded Sony laser head issues and is hit or miss for playing SACDs at all.

You are aware that no current PS3 models play SACD I trust?
bdole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
Launch day 60GB PS3 into an Onkyo Pro 885 - nary an issue. Plays all 30 or so of my SACDs without issue.

My Oppo 971 however, does exhibit similar behavior to what you have with DVD-A's. And my old Sony SCP-C555ES SACD player has the dreaded Sony laser head issues and is hit or miss for playing SACDs at all.

You are aware that no current PS3 models play SACD I trust?

Thanks for the reply, Brandon. Yeah, I was disappointed to not get a PS3 before Sony removed SACD compatibility. Wasn't willing to pay silly money for a used one, so I bought an Oppo player for its SACD via HDMI capability. Quite disappointed to discover they all truncate the first second or two of SA-CD tracks, and was very curious to hear of experiences with the PS3 in this regard.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps there is a firmware update for the Oppo 971?

Also, you could try an Oppo BDP-80 or ~83(SE). Supposedly they've fixed all SACD issues with the BDP-83.
bdole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that were the case. I've been trying to get to the bottom of this in an owner's thread for the BDP-83 over at AVS Forum. SA-CD truncation appears to be unfixed, and there are additional complaints of pops and clicks between tracks. The PS3 seems to really shine in this area, as the $1500 Sony SCD-XA5400ES may be the only other player without SA-CD playback issues over HDMI.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18383438
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdole wrote:
IThe PS3 seems to really shine in this area...

FYI: SACD-compatible PS3s are still available.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
Perhaps there is a firmware update for the Oppo 971?

Also, you could try an Oppo BDP-80 or ~83(SE). Supposedly they've fixed all SACD issues with the BDP-83.

SE would be wasted money if he is using HDMI. And a few issues with SACD remain in the 83 (pops and clicks during playback) for some users.

Oppo's problem here is the software decoders they are using for SACD are from a third party and not under their control. They have responded to a lot of users that they are pressuring the developers of the code as much as possible to work out a fix, but have no real leverage.

If they ever do fix it, I may pick an SE up for my second system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: