PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SACD playback via optical output?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brandon B

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was reported on some other forums that 2.01 did remove conversion of mc SACD to DD or DTS over optical. I can check later today.

BB
D-Mode 5.1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: ps3 linux dsd playback? Reply with quote

usernameuser wrote:
Hey guys do you think you can play SACD in Linux, if so it could be the first ever computer that plays SACD? can you imagine? and lets not stop there, perhaps you could rip the dsd track of SACD and burn your own mixes, or burn a DVD-A, if thats possible.

While you're at it, why not see if you can get it to play DVD-Audio too?
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, conversion to DTS and DD of multichannel through optical has indeed been removed from 2.01.

Minor bummer for me in the short term until I replace my pre/pro with an HDMI unit.

Hopefully this was a licensing issue they'll resolve and put the functionality back.

BB
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
Hopefully this was a licensing issue they'll resolve and put the functionality back.

It probably is a licensing issue but one whose solution would involve Sony paying DTS an extra license fee for every PS3 unit that gets upgraded with this DTS encoder function -- something they understandably will be unwilling to do.
FunkyMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
Brandon B wrote:

It probably is a licensing issue but one whose solution would involve Sony paying DTS an extra license fee for every PS3 unit that gets upgraded with this DTS encoder function -- something they understandably will be unwilling to do.

I initially thought this was a licensing issue. But if you think about it, the PS3 is licensed for DTS. Of course, that is for playback of. I doubt if DTS labs would say you can use the DTS for DVD but nto for anything else. Just sounds like bad business and bad will to me given that Sony have DTS on all DVD players and PS3's so already pay them a license.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with with DTS's licensing conditions but I know that Dolby charges -- or at least used to charge -- a far higher licensee fee for an encoder (which is supposed to be a professional product) than for a decoder (which is typically a consumer product). Besides, the majority of the license is paid on a per-product basis. The annual or one-time fees are negligible.
FunkyMonkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
I'm not familiar with with DTS's licensing conditions but I know that Dolby charges -- or at least used to charge -- a far higher licensee fee for an encoder (which is supposed to be a professional product) than for a decoder (which is typically a consumer product). Besides, the majority of the license is paid on a per-product basis. The annual or one-time fees are negligible.

Supposing that DTS operate in the same way then as suspected by many, it coudl well be a licensing issue. Maybe it was an experiment by Sony that they forgot to take out before release. Evidence suggests that teh PS3 developers are a dedicated, talented and experimental bunch (going from interviews).
NYMike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New to the forum, but one of the bonuses I saw in the PS3 was the Blu-Ray and the SACD playback - only to update to 2.0.1 without realizing they would go backwards in some features - how nuts is that? Particularly with SACD being a Sony thing in the first place! And the audio processors that handle HDMI are pretty dang expensive ($1000++) - surely releasing 2.0.1 so soon after 2.0, and therein creating other issues, another release will be forthcoming sooner than later to restore the SACD optical playback. My guess is you can't go back to 2.0 after the 2.0.1 "down"grade.
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I signed up to this forum just to get the lastest news on this topic.
I was searching for a home theater system with optical inputs to use for the PS3 and SACD playback until I was lucky enough to run into this forum, and discovered that I had already unknowingly sacrificed my plans when upgrading to firmware 2.01.
Has there been any word as to why, Sony pulled the option?

Also since multichannel SACD is only availible through HDMI. Which theater home systems support HDMI audio? Everyone I see is only a passthrough for video only. Any advice on this would be much appreciated. Oh and to make things clear I needs a full theater system with the speachers, and not just a receiver.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onkyo, Denon and other make receivers that will accept the audio from HDMI, some of which are under $1K. For a pre/pro though, everything is ~$1.5K and north.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ-Max wrote:
Has there been any word as to why, Sony pulled the option?

Nothing, officially at least -- they never even stated the feature was in so they could again retract it without feeling the need to explain.

TJ-Max wrote:
Which theater home systems support HDMI audio? Everyone I see is only a passthrough for video only. I needs a full theater system with the speachers, and not just a receiver.

By a Home Theater System you mean a receiver with integrated DVD player (and supposedly SACD and even BD)?

I'm not aware of any HTS with HDMI inputs. It could be an interesting feature to connect a console or set-top box but the idea is usually that everything the user wants is already inside so no need for external wiring. Anyway, for BD there is only one such device thus far, from Sharp I believe.

As for suitable receivers, there's a list here:

http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html#_Toc177216800
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="The Seventh Taylor"]
Quote:
By a Home Theater System you mean a receiver with integrated DVD player (and supposedly SACD and even BD)?

Well I mean something that includes the speakers. Its just a burdon to spend $500 on a reveiver then have to spend an extra $200 on speakers.

All of that would wind up costing alot more than my PS3 itself, which I think is unpractical.
Perhaps I've been looking for the wrong type of device. I just want to play PS3 games in 5.1 and play SACDs. I don't care about movies (DVD,BluRay) really. I'm primarly interested in Audio
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not going to get the level of audio out of a HTiB system that you need to appreciate SACD over regular CD.

BB
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
You are not going to get the level of audio out of a HTiB system that you need to appreciate SACD over regular CD.

I have to disagree here.

Of course there's no limit to how far you can go in creating a better, more transparent audio system by spending more money but because of SACD's accuracy in the time domain and the fact that timing of signals is not a constraint even in cheap systems you'll be able to appreciate differences over SACD even with an affordable stereo set-up.

When adding multi-channel there's no way anyone could ignore the benefits that SACD offers over CD, even on a not-too-costly system.
2.01 - Why did I bother

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Did no one load version 2.0 onto a memory stick?!!?

Please, somebody out there must have it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: