PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SACD playback via optical output?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dieroboter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look here

Wink
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.01 - Why did I bother wrote:
Shocked

Did no one load version 2.0 onto a memory stick?!!?

Please, somebody out there must have it...

It does'nt matter, becuase you can't downgrade.
2.01 - Why did I bother

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Yeh, but the unit* I acquired (as a SACD and Blu-ray player) was still on 1.93, so I have used dieroboter's intel and upgraded to 2.0 and undertaken the necessary tasks to run the 'no frills' SACD multichannel via optical. That means that the HDMI amp can sit on the back burner for a little longer so prices can come down ... leaving more cash for SACD's! Laughing

*Having abandoned the 60GB full feature model for the sake of appeasing market share of the low end market - and noting that, without backward compatability, one wonders if anyone would bother sidewards 'upgrading' to the new PS3 as a games unit, I just can't seem to fathom Sony's end game - other than to PiSoff everyone and go back to being a games monitor producer that forces developers to adopt PS3 and retaining a unit with some media capabilities no fancier than a PC
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
Brandon B wrote:
You are not going to get the level of audio out of a HTiB system that you need to appreciate SACD over regular CD.

I have to disagree here.

Of course there's no limit to how far you can go in creating a better, more transparent audio system by spending more money but because of SACD's accuracy in the time domain and the fact that timing of signals is not a constraint even in cheap systems you'll be able to appreciate differences over SACD even with an affordable stereo set-up.

When adding multi-channel there's no way anyone could ignore the benefits that SACD offers over CD, even on a not-too-costly system.

You may be right. All the HTiB setups I have heard, though, have been of the variety with the 5 tiny speakers and an 8" "sub" that probably rolls off at 30 Hz, and probably could not be used to differentiate between mediocre bit rate MP3 and CD PCM. There are some nicer ones, though, that I have not heard, so I am probably over generalizing.

BB
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are some of the best HTIB systems?

I saw these earlier, does anyone have any expereince with these?
Panasonic SC-PT1050
Sony DAV-HDX500/i
usernameuser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: firmware 2.00 Reply with quote

hey you can probably download it from somewhere in the net, if not look at the wikipedia website for firmware I think they have a list of games that came with firmwares from 1.1 up to 2.10 depending on the game and then you can go to the blockbuster and rent the game or buy it brand new($6 rent or $60 buy new. Tough choice)
BlvJohn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All:

The PS3 2.0 FW link at the linked Spanish site points to the US Sony Playstation site. The file no longer resides on any of the Sony Playstation server sites and there is no mirror version of 2.0 on the PS3-Hacks site.

Does anyone know a current site or other location where the 2.0 FW can be obtained?

Also, the reference in the FAQ to the 2.0 download site should be updated.

Thanks.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We checked with the admins of PS3-hacks.com, the site that most of the 'mirror' links refer to. They will add 2.00 shortly. Probably we'll link directly to that site in the future.

Interestingly, the site mentions possibilities to downgrade from certain versions to specific others but not from 2.01 or 2.10 to 2.00.
culabula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone (not me) just posted this on another forum, may be of interest.

I have complained to Sony UK about the removal of this function in V2.01 and was told that if enough people complain it could be put into another update.

IF YOU WANT SACD TO DTS THROUGH YOUR OPTICAL CABLE START COMPLAINING TO SONY

(sic)
Superman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start sending the emails people. I think many would like this ability to comeback.
lutefisk69

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I got a new PS3 for the bedroom and it is hooked up to a HTIB via optical. My other PS3 is hooked up via HDMI so it plays SACD's with no issues and was not looking forward to having to change the settings and only get to listen to 2 channel on the HTIB when I listened to SACD's. I put in a SACD today and tried to play it, and it worked. Straight though the optical. I cannot find any info or threads that discuss this feature returning since it was out with 2.0. Has it returned or is this a fluke? I am quite happy with it and hope that it stays this way though.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe feature has not returned. You were getting either the 2 channel SACD mix or the CD mix over optical.

BB
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lutefisk69 wrote:
So, I got a new PS3 for the bedroom and it is hooked up to a HTIB via optical. My other PS3 is hooked up via HDMI so it plays SACD's with no issues and was not looking forward to having to change the settings and only get to listen to 2 channel on the HTIB when I listened to SACD's. I put in a SACD today and tried to play it, and it worked. Straight though the optical. I cannot find any info or threads that discuss this feature returning since it was out with 2.0. Has it returned or is this a fluke? I am quite happy with it and hope that it stays this way though.

What kinda of HtiB do you have and what kind of PS3? 40/60/80?
lutefisk69

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
THe feature has not returned. You were getting either the 2 channel SACD mix or the CD mix over optical.

BB

It was playing the 5 channel sacd, Just like my other PS3 that is hooked up HDMI. I was suprised as I have not heard of this returning.

It is an 80GB Metal Gear solid package and a Samsung HT-Z310 5.1 HTIB.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your HTiB is probably applying PLIIx to the 2 channel or something. The feature has not returned, and the Toslink optical connection cannot carry 5 channel high bitrate PCM.

BB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: