PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ask Sony to keep SACD on the PS3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdole

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Ask Sony to keep SACD on the PS3 Reply with quote

I recently made a request to Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) to keep SACD-support on future PS3 models. I did get a nice reply saying it would be forwarded on to the appropriate management at Sony.

It might be meaningful if more voices were pleading for SACD. Here's your opportunity:

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, that they have this direct feedback channel. Let's hope it has some effect. Note that this is SCEA's site, and from America I expect the least caring about SACD. At least when it comes to the DVD Player and Home Theater System business, the US management has least cared about it. One could argue that the market has had the lowest uptake of SACD there, compared to Europe and especially Japan, but one can debate what's cause and what's effect...
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, if you sign up for the playstation forum which that support page is part of, they will tend to send you surveys and other stuff that get into a fair bit of detail about your media purchasing and use habits. I have taken a few of these, and while they are obviously heavily interested in your gaming and blu-ray wants and needs, they also asked questions about hi-rez music formats.

So if you have a PS3, sign up an d indicate this preference and it would also help "the cause".

BB
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I've been registered there for more than a year and never received a single questionnaire. Maybe it's a random sample. Or perhaps I should visit there more often.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have seen one when you first signed up. If you skipped that one, maybe they leave you alone.

Probably helped that in the first one, I admitted I buy lots of stuff.
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony is running last place in the console wars right now. People are still not giving them any slack for thier higher prices. They've obviously taken dramatic steps to reduce the cost. I believe that the removal of SACD is one such step to reduction, along with USB ports, SD Card Readers, and BC. They dropped the price of the console $200 but people are still demanding price drops for the holidays.

I think Sony's biggest mistake was not properly educating people about what they're paying for. Thier marketing campaign sucks. People saw a video game console, then a $599.99 price tag only. Noone (other than the tech pron) understood what 1080p and SACD was nor do they now, They were'nt aware of the card readers, BC and upgradable hard drive. AND till this day I still run into people not aware that the PS3 has a Bluray drive.
I dought Sony will return SACD back to the PS3, if anything they will mostly likely remove more features like such as the built-in Wi-fi and HDMI port to meet a $249-$299 price range. Just my thoughts.
bdole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of the above is sad but true. Price really seems to rule the day. Even before the recent economic woes set in the cheaper consoles were outselling. Like TJ-Max I could also see Wi-Fi and even the upgradeable hardrive going, but probably not the HDMI.

Personally, I'm beginning to come to terms with the fact that I'm going to need to buy an Oppo 980H for my SACD needs to go with a stripped down PS3. The Oppo is $169 and does DSD output over HDMI with 7.1 sound. At least the PS3 is $250 right now when purchased with Sony Credit.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bye the way, I did get a reply eventually from following bdole's link and remarking that SACD playback was a valuable feature.

Same sort of reply, thanks for the input and it would be relayed to the interested parties.
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ya just love those caned responses? Razz

So what they're saying is "We actually don't care about that, but we'll leave it in the system just in case someone comes along."
Jens

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what button to push:
  • Repair: Need service?
  • Backward compatibility: PS2 games on PS3
  • Connect to internet
  • Password reset
all don't sound too relevant to SACD playback.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Koller, hardware marketing director for SCEA, is quoted in this blog entry, saying:
Quote:
“As we went through the first year to two years of the life cycle of the PS3, we started to look at what we needed to focus on for the expected ten-year life cycle of the PS3. From a cost-down perspective, we really wanted to make sure that consumers could get their hands on the PS3, and I know there’s a lot of discussion about this in the media and among consumers, but removing backward compatibility was one area we could utilize to bring costs down,” he says. “I think over the ten-year life cycle of the PS3, we’re going to be able to sell consumers a lot more PlayStation 3 titles, and as we go along in the life cycle, we’re going to see more consumers utilizing PlayStation 3 titles than they would PlayStation 2 titles. That was one area that was highlighted and chosen for cost reduction.

“We fully understand the issue of backwards compatibility is important, and it was a difficult decision on our part to remove that. We highly value the loyalty of the PlayStation 2 consumer. If you look at it, that’s a base of 49 million in North America that’s as loyal and rich a source for bringing up the PS3 curve as anything. So we don’t want to be ignorant of that. But it was part and parcel of our effort to bring the cost down on the system. And we’ve been effective in getting it down to the $399 price point for the 80GB system.

“And Super Audio CD isn’t a hugely popular area within the core demographic of the PlayStation 3, so that was another area that we utilized as a cost-down, and the media slots were, as well. The chassis that you originally had was different from the current one, although the current one obviously has a larger hard drive, and we were able to effect a few other changes, in terms of firmware updates and whatnot to the current model. So, there’s been a little bit of give and take, but in general we were really trying to go after the first goal, which is profitability, and we had to have some cost-downs to get there,”

So it sounds like a pretty conscious decision. I wonder to what extent these considerations about demographics are different for other territories than North America but can imagine it's pretty much the same for Europe and perhaps even Japan.

One can only hope at some point in the future Sony will allow for some more differentiation between models and retain or bring back SACD in a 'high end' SKU.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing is, last PS3 title I bought was Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, which is all old titles from the Sega console and Sega arcade classics. I think they are mistaken about people wanting older titles. Or they are just planning on bundling them and reselling them to us in newly "PS3 compatible" form once the bulk of installed machines won't play native PS2 games.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea. I'm not sure Sony can et away with that but surely a lot of 3rd-party publishers will gladly do so.
mister_playboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Blah. Reply with quote

For all the features that have been removed, all that has been gained is a larger hard drive... which isn't much to be boasting about, considering any model's hard drive can be upgraded, and storage is getting cheaper everyday... Even the process of swapping to a new hard drive is quite trivial.

They mentioned firmware updates? Those apply to all models, not just new ones. Rolling Eyes

Of course, new chips with smaller traces are more efficient and less costly, and that's a positive, but that's to be expected as any electronic product evolves.

At this point, I feel certain the chance of SACD or BC returning in a new premium model is 0%. At least if one ever has to send in a older model, then apparently Sony is obligated to repair and return the one you sent or replace it with another unit of equivalent ability.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Blah. Reply with quote

mister_playboy wrote:
For all the features that have been removed, all that has been gained is a larger hard drive...

And a $200 price decrease, quite likely to become $300 in the next month or so.

They're a business, and they have some ground to make up. Can't really blame them. Gives me an excuse to buy an Oppo blu-ray player for my second system instead of another PS3 though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: