PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Trek

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Star Trek Reply with quote

The first season of the original Star Trek series is soon to be released on BD, featuring the episodes in original (restored) form, or with the new (mediocre) CGI effects, and with original mono audio or 7.1 lossless. Many extras as well. Pretty much the ultimate if you're a fan of the show in any form. Seasons 2 and 3 next fall. I'll be spinning an episode or two once I get them. $73 at Amazon US.

Also, the first 6 movies are out, boxed set of 6, or a boxed set of 3 featuring 2-4 if you don't want to spring for the ones of questionable quality. The latter is a pretty decent deal at $43 at Amazon, good bargain for a 3 title set. Also sprung for the 3 movie set of those. I'll report back once I've viewed them (they're pre-ordered right now).
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, wrong subforum. If the admin is bored, maybe they might move it?

Embarassed
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done. No problem.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I've still got to upgrade to DVD for this one -- I've got the first six movies on Video CD; not some Asian edition but the discs that Philips and Paramount released in Europe and the US circa 1995.

Some of them may actually be Green Book (CD-i) instead of White Book (proper Video CD). Most are still sealed. I'm not too attached to them so if any Trekkie/collector is interested in them then please drop me a PM.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do that whole set on blu-ray for $80 on Amazon right now. Not a bad price either.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received the TOS season I set yesterday. These are really nice. The negatives were cleaned up , and the color and contrast tweaked to make these look pretty much brand new.

The option for original or new FX is changeable on the fly using the "angle" button on your player remote. The sound has been remastered on the surround track to give it a real low and high end.

All around, a totally worthwhile purchase if you like the show. No question for me that I'll spring for the two additional sets when they release the other two seasons in the fall.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the new film this weekend. Being a pretty solid fan of the original series, wasn't keen on their disregarding all the established history, but I was pretty pleased with the film as a whole and the story they built around the reason for the reboot. Definitely mostly an action flick that would have been just as good without any Star Trek overlay at all, but even if you are a hard core trekkie, there's probably an even chance you'll enjoy this. Story was light, but that may be due to having to establish who all the characters are and where they come from (this time).

BB
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Wrath of Khan is a fair improvement over DVD, but nothing to get excited about. Interestingly, you can see how they intentionally pulled softer focus on Shatner in many shots (in his contract?) compared to other people in the shots.

Watched another episode off TOS set right after, and the quality difference is pretty blatant. Paramount did not put much effort into this, and from what I understand, III and especially IV, are much worse.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got season two of TOS last week. THe picture quality is more uneven than season one, but I have seen comments online to the effect that photography was done more carefullyon season one as Desilu (the production company) was trying to wow Paramount as there was not much confidence in them originally, and in the second season they were a little less exacting as they had pretty severe budget issues (TOS was a very low budget production, even for its time).

That said, again a very nice set if the show interests you. Both versions of video and audio included (original and remastered/updated), all in HD.

Trouble with Tribbles disk also includes the ST: Deep Space Nine episode which mixed in and riffed on the original, as well as the followup episode from the animated series.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Movies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: